PDA

View Full Version : Richy Rich Carb

HondaBoy
02-25-2005, 10:52 AM
ok, well i'm pretty sure its running rich. really the only time it'll give me problems is when i first start it up, and mostly in cold weather. i can smell it running rich for a minute when its started cold. in warm weather it does just fine. would that be that in cold weather the fuel isnt vaporizing due to the cold manifold? i'm probley going to play with the A/F screw and see if i can fix it. is there any time best to adjust the A/F screw? like after its warmed up well. maybe not on cold days? i was giving me some bs this morning. it was running too rich and wanted to shut off. when i started it again there was a lot of fuel smoke out the exhaust, then it ran fine after it warmed up after a minute. i'd like to go out and fix it now or something but i dont think i have enough time before i go to work in less than an hour.

POS carb
02-25-2005, 06:57 PM
you should only play with the idle mix screw when it's warmed up

for an excessively rich cold carb you should adjust the choke opening, usually the bad cold idle comes around when the thermovavles on the rear of the manifold (or hoses going to it) fail because these switch on and off vacuum to the choke depending on engine temp.
test the choke by cracking it open with your finger as the car idles. if it smothes out by opening it then adjust the bendable tabs on the linkage or drill out the rivets on the choke heater and rotate it, make new "rivets" to lock the new position

A20A1
02-26-2005, 12:40 AM
Is your EFE Plate working?

HondaBoy
02-27-2005, 04:52 PM
dont know if the EFE plate works or not. it might not. for the most part, weather here is hot, but right now is the shitty weather. when its warm i dont have problems with it warming up upon a cold start. another thing, after starting it from leaving it sitting while the weather is cold, if i give it a lot of gas, then sometimes it acts as if it may be flooded. it'll want to idle really low and almost die unless i give it gas to keep the rpms a bit high. this only occurs in cold weather though, so maybe it is the EFE plate. i also replaced my air filter, dont know if that can affect getting too much gas with not enough air mixed. maybe that'll make it puddle in the manifold? runs a bit better since i put the new filter in. the weather hasnt been good so i havent had a chance to work on it or look at the carb.

A20A1
02-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Does the hot air door work... it's what brings in hot air thru the preheater hos connected to the heatsheild.