PDA

View Full Version : custom intake

Justin86
02-25-2005, 12:43 PM
well I have been busy yet again, I just can't stop myself, someone help me :kekeke:
Is there like a cur tuners anonymous or something? :lol:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/469000-469999/469581_185_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/469000-469999/469581_186_full.jpg
Yea dyno time is March 5
2.5" piping with K&N filter with 2nd plentum.

MattsAccord
02-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Looks good Justin. :rockon:

frankie89
02-25-2005, 12:53 PM
nice job justin!!(whats the reason for the box in the line!)dose it help with performance or looks????

NXRacer
02-25-2005, 12:59 PM
whats the inside of the box look like? Is it empty? whats the point?

details details :D

Justin86
02-25-2005, 01:03 PM
It's act like a plentum, aka an air reservoir. So when you punch it it has air allready close by to suck in. It's a design they are starting to use more often now, to help smoothen out the power band. I wanna see just how good it does work.

BlueBead
02-25-2005, 04:48 PM
looks good man! did you fair the airflow or does it just dump into the []box? sounds like something to keep in mind if doing a CAI....
Did you notice any difference?

88accordhb
02-25-2005, 05:12 PM
wow nice justin.

Justin86
02-25-2005, 06:36 PM
I haven't had chance to use it, but I'm looking for an improvment on the dyno not my butt. ;)

88accordalltheway
02-25-2005, 07:43 PM
finally some air intake thingy that makes sense to me, really cool man!!
cant wait to see the dyno papers, you should make a vid of it on the machine, id be sick!!

A20A1
02-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Nottice any low end gain?

DBMaster
03-01-2005, 07:40 PM
I wonder if it would help tone down the sound a bit. The stock intake has a small closed ended tube that is just there to "tune" the sound of the intake a bit.

I had a modified 90 Prelude intake on mine for a year or so. It actually located the filter between the engine and firewall. There is room for it when the stock filter box is gone. I got sick of the noise. Someone asked me if I had a "boat motor" under the hood and I just said "That's it."

Let us know how your setup works out.

DBMaster
03-02-2005, 11:24 AM
I guess it could be. Does anybody out there know for sure?

racerx
04-25-2005, 12:18 PM
i thought those whale-shaped tubes were supposed to expand and contract air to increase velocity.... perhaps they found more uses for them.

i like the idea justin! is it smooth and round on the inside, or the same as the outside looks?

whowasdat
04-27-2005, 10:06 PM
do they have custom intakes for carb cars?

88accordalltheway
04-27-2005, 10:16 PM
do they have custom intakes for carb cars?
nope, us carbd guys are SOL and give the finger that points to the junk yard to look for goddamn civic air boxes. Search more next time.

FyreDaug
04-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Ok, maybe its because its like 1am and Ive gone over this many times on sunfire forums, so please dont take offense to this, Im just saying it as is.

The plenums do help with low end power but they start to lower some high end, it helps low end because of the scavenging (sp) for air is really easy, it has it right next to the opening, but when you open it right up and you are pulling in liters of air at a time it begins to act as a catalyst would, where it has an opening, and when the air enters into it, it will cause turbulence and end up causing a lack of suction. Thought its probably not noticable in volumes, the engine sees a difference, there will be more vacuum needed to be made to pull the air in, thus reducing engine effectiveness.

I dont wanna sound like im jumping on your idea here, but its not all gains, you essentially shift your power band over to the low end a little, but hell if your engine doesn nothing but keep making power at cut off, then this is for you.

However, with your design I sure hope its smooth inside, and kind of like the JS racing tube inside, if its a box I can only see you hurting power than a straight pipe would have done (top end, bottom end should be a slight increase)

Maybe its different on different engines, but still, its the same idea with them all. When you open it right up, you change the velocity of the air, the chamber only helps when you punch it, if its already pulling at ~3000rpm and youslowly accel to full throttle it wont do anything for you, might hurt if anything. Essentially it just helps right off the line to not bog.

However, please prove me wrong as I havent seen anything fully successful. And like I said, dont take offense, I'm just used to having to tell this story to other people who end up being unsuccessful. I would love to see dyno numbers of it, a before and after though only changing the intake.

Props for the work though man, that looks awesome, just hope its not wasted. I'll watch the thread

superguillermo
04-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Hey justin....you better start thinking about mass production. Looks clean!

NXRacer
04-29-2005, 04:04 PM
i wonder if putting in a curve inside the box would help it direct air more efficiently at top end and still have some for a resevoir for the low end gain. . . .

NXRacer
04-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Of course, if I'm thinking what you're thinking, it could virtually have almost the same volume inside.
Kind of like baffles inside of a muffler, but more in an aerodynamic sense, right?
exactly.

Speaking of muffler, I need a quieter intake.
Mine sounds like a fucking ferocious roar now at WOT.
sometimes that happens if its dirty or warn out. how old is your filter? they're not supposed to wear out, but i think they do, especially if you're at WOT all the time like me. :D

Cant Stop
05-20-2005, 02:09 PM
hmm it seems that a more efficient design would be a 90 degree bend then an expanded tube IE: 2" into 3"1/2" back into 2" thus you would maintain a better velocity and loss of suction shouldn't occur since it is a round design instead of a box with dead spots and poor in out flow performance. just a thought otherwise good work.

geesnow
05-20-2005, 02:38 PM
seems to me that the box would HURT airflow- not help. have you tried it yet justin? looks good though!!

FyreDaug
05-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Plenums like this are also more efficient after the throttle body too, just FYI. If you built a manifold with this idea you would see more effectiveness

Justin86
05-21-2005, 11:04 AM
the plentum is where the TB bolts to.
I have been wanting to work on some other designs, I need some dyno time to see some gains of the different designs and inside dia.

FyreDaug
05-21-2005, 04:28 PM
But changing the plenum size will help with tuning the runners which is much more effective than this. (If the square box does anything) Plus, different plenum sizes matter.

FyreDaug
05-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Erm, aside from ITBs, where wouldn't there be plenum in an intake manifold?

I meant his box shape, not plenums in particular. Intake manifolds have lots of R&D left to them until we can learn everything about tuning them properly