PDA

View Full Version : what's this?

Strugglebucket
02-26-2005, 04:59 AM
i was staring at my engine (i do that sometimes) and i noticed something i had never seen before. down around where the rear engine mount is located there is a cylindrical black plastic thing with two wires coming out of it, mounted to the thick power steering line that comes from the pump.

is this a solenoid? does it have something to do with the speed sensitive steering? i always thought that was controlled mechanically by the restrictor that the two lines hook to in the speed sensor. i looked through the shop manuals but didn't see any mention of it. anybody know what it is for?

Strugglebucket
02-26-2005, 12:39 PM
hmm. it may be another '89 lx-i only thing.

i was at the junkyard today and none of the accords 86-88 had it. there was one '89 but it was an lx and it didn't have it.

i looked at the ecu pinout for 88-89 and it has B9 "P/S Press SW input". power steering pressure switch?

A20A1
02-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Any pics?

Strugglebucket
02-26-2005, 01:03 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/luby555/DSCN0256.jpg

A20A1
02-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Never seem that before... I guess cause I had an LX :D
I dunno what it's for.

Oldblueaccord
02-26-2005, 02:03 PM
i was staring at my engine (i do that sometimes) and i noticed something i had never seen before. down around where the rear engine mount is located there is a cylindrical black plastic thing with two wires coming out of it, mounted to the thick power steering line that comes from the pump.

is this a solenoid? does it have something to do with the speed sensitive steering? i always thought that was controlled mechanically by the restrictor that the two lines hook to in the speed sensor. i looked through the shop manuals but didn't see any mention of it. anybody know what it is for?

Means your special...................... :bowrofl:

Prolly does read the pwr steering and boost idle like when your parking.

wp

DBMaster
03-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Oldblue nailed it. It is a pressure switch. It signals the ECU when pressure in the line exceeds a set level to increase the idle and keep it steady when you are turning the wheels and the car is stationary. That is when the power steering "works" the hardest and can bog the engine a bit. Aftermarket replacement lines (I had to put one in six years ago) have a plug in this hole which you do not remove for installation on a carbed model.

It is not really essential as the idle barely drops, but it is one of those nice touches from Honda to keep the idle steady under most all conditions.

BITESIZE
03-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Yup, that's what it is for sure.

Strugglebucket
03-01-2005, 09:29 PM
cool.