PDA

View Full Version : what would be worht the money? (engines)

gsus
02-26-2005, 12:57 PM
okay my car (87 lx-i coupe) is currently running like shit and it has around 175,XXX miles on it... so im considering maybe a rebuild on the engine or possibly an new a20 engine. although a b20 engine would be nice.

what are the costs for either of the options & which one is worth it? this is my beater car, sorry to say, but it atleast need to be running right.

-my current engine gets rebuild
-i get another a20 engine and pop that in the accord
-i get a b20 engine (160 bhp or 160whp?)

say i go b20 route how difficult of an install will that be? will there be any custom work that needs to be done (axles, hoses... anything minor or major)? and how do you go about sourcing parts when they are needed for the engine?

thanx
-gsus

Robs89LXi
02-26-2005, 01:39 PM
How about fixing what is wrong with it first? Might be the cheapest route, and then you will have a good running car again. 175K is nothing for these engines. Mine has 245K, and had never been pulled before I took it out to be modified. If there is no possibility of repair, then rebuild. That way you know what you are getting.

shepherd79
02-26-2005, 02:01 PM
well, lets start that 175K on that motor is nothing. i bet your motor just needs some tune up. that is all. check your compression in the pistons, make sure it is high and all even or at least within specs.

second, you can rebuild A20, but again, it will cost nice amount of money. i don't know how good you are with cars, but you can do the full rebuild for under $500 yourself.

third, you get another A20 motor, and you drop it in there. what makes you think that the motor you are going to drop is better?

fourth, B20 motor route. well, you should start first with researching on that motor. the motor is rare as hell. there are no more JDM B20A motors in the US, and i don't think you can find them anymore. the parts you will have to buy all new from japan. and it is very expensive and you have to wait very long time. it is not hard to put it in, there may be some custom work that will need to be done to make it run.

so, overall, i think if you just stick with simple tune up, your motor will run like a champ.