PDA

View Full Version : Do the work yourself and the B16 swap ain't so bad.

my86dx4dr
02-27-2005, 03:54 PM
Ok, Lilhonda17 just came over to my place,

I checked out his setup with the b16.

Anytime someone brings up the swap, they get the automatic "PRI dont make the mount so your going to need LOTS of money!"

Im sorry, but i seen this guys work, all he did was redrill the drivers side stock a20 mount,

For the rear mount on the firewall, he welded in a plate for another stock Mount.

I didnt check the others, But from what i seen with this,
I'l bet you he gets the h22 done, for cheaper then ever thought of.

Now the h22 subject im gonna sit back and learn,

But i have PERSONALY seen this b16 and from what i seen, his setup Is decently clean. The body of his car is in the project stage, But that motor is in there, and He said its been in there for a couple years. you guys really should consider Looking into this and being brave enough to try it out!

I'am seriously considering Fallowing him in the b16a3 boat and maybe swapping some info with him when the time comes.

:dunno: I have yet to see someone else attempt this without the PRI kit! untill now. Hell i give the guy props!

NXRacer
02-27-2005, 03:59 PM
thats awesome.

AccordEpicenter
02-27-2005, 04:07 PM
if you have the time and equipment you could make damn near anything fit

my86dx4dr
02-27-2005, 04:13 PM
if you have the time and equipment you could make damn near anything fit
Thang about it is, He did this in his driveway, with the same everyday tools a home mechanic would have. Like he said, He's no pro welder so what little that got welded (one plate) was all the extra tools you would need :deal:

He has a 00' civic si guage cluster in, as well as the 90-93 altezza's Sure altezza's arnt my thang, But man, The guy has skillz :cool: This will be by far the tightest 3g when its done, shaved' kitted, h22, lsd, and thangs like the gauge cluster and p30(if i remember right) ecu

I think i just found myself wanting another 3g :uh:

Vanilla Sky
02-27-2005, 04:20 PM
oldschoolswap's first swap was custom...

my86dx4dr
02-27-2005, 04:26 PM
oldschoolswap's first swap was custom...
no shit? and yet he never posted any how to's or info?

:dunno:

Vanilla Sky
02-27-2005, 04:46 PM
not that i know of, but you can PM him and ask him questions

my86dx4dr
02-27-2005, 04:47 PM
not that i know of, but you can PM him and ask him questions
Yeah he comes here about once every 6 months :hs:

haha now im curious just what he has done

hondamanlxi
02-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Do ls motors and b16's bolt in the same? b/c i have access to one right now...

ps: this thread is useless w/o pics! id love to see this!

shepherd79
02-27-2005, 04:51 PM
ok, so what did lilhonda used for his axels?

my86dx4dr
02-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Do ls motors and b16's bolt in the same? b/c i have access to one right now...
I Think so, Because someone here has the black coupe with ls-vtec using the b16/b18 PRI kit

my86dx4dr
02-27-2005, 04:53 PM
ok, so what did lilhonda used for his axels?
One side is stock
The other side is a PRI

Buts been said the g2 has similer axles :dunno:

my86dx4dr
02-27-2005, 04:55 PM
ps: this thread is useless w/o pics! id love to see this!
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=41676 there in that thread!

I dont have a camera Now, :sadwave: or i would of snapped a few pics,

I kinda wish i would of asked for a ride around the block :deal:

RobT5580
02-27-2005, 05:01 PM
The problem is the majority of the people wanting swaps want bolt in stuff and probably cant fabricate the stuff themselves which would drive the cost up a lot. I considered the H22 a while back since i have friends with the skill needed to make a nice swap but I never pursued it since turbo was always in the back of my mind because of Justin. You can do a lot of stuff and if you can weld/fabricate then you in good shape.

A20A1
02-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Is it okay to cut and weld axles? Like if it was too long or too short or if one side had a different amount of teeth on it then the A20.

Is balancing them the issue or is strenght/allignment the issue? or both... cause I don't see people talking about it much... so I figure it's a no go.

AccordEpicenter
02-27-2005, 05:10 PM
I had to fabricate everything for my turbo setup, and the reason i did this over a B series swap is i think its still easier to go turbo, plus A series engines/trannies are cheap and easy to come by. Only thing that sucks about the a series than i can see is that you cant get a REAL lsd... I wanna see pics of these swapped cars, im sure everybody has a little different setup.

RobT5580
02-27-2005, 05:31 PM
Is it okay to cut and weld axles? Like if it was too long or too short or if one side had a different amount of teeth on it then the A20.

Is balancing them the issue or is strenght/allignment the issue? or both... cause I don't see people talking about it much... so I figure it's a no go.
Balancing is a big issue and you dont need to do this. You can mix and match honda axles fairly easily so there is no need for cutting and welding. If your doing a custom swap with your own mounts engine placement is critical for your axles. If you screw up that part then custome axles will need to be made.

SteveDX89
02-27-2005, 06:35 PM
I wanna see pics of these swapped cars, im sure everybody has a little different setup.

Sounds good to me. I also have been thinking of making fabrication drawings of the mounts for production. I plan to pull my motor back out and while it's out, I can use my engineering background, etc. to make accurate drawings. Now I will need to find somewhere to have them made. If I did this, I would prefer to have them machined from solid aluminum so they would be HASport quality instead of PRI's weld together job. It all depends on the cost, the interest and commitment of people to buy.

Oldblueaccord
02-28-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm new here so this is a little outside looking in. I lurked here a little for about 2 years before I decided I heard enuff BS and maybe I could make a differance.

WHY post about a cool motor swap you did when there 50 people here saying it cant be done or its dumb to do it. I mean why waste the hot air.

About the h22 deal I wound post a thing until they remove that post at the top saying dont ask about it and do post any info on it. I mean cmon its called thinking outside of the box.

But hey its not my website i just post what I know.

wp

keruhas184
02-28-2005, 11:22 AM
...Now I will need to find somewhere to have them made. If I did this, I would prefer to have them machined from solid aluminum so they would be HASport quality instead of PRI's weld together job...

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=21311

That emachineshop.com (http://www.emachineshop.com) sounds like a great place to get this done at... but then again, I wouldn't be the one doing the drawings... so I don't really know.

SteveDX89
02-28-2005, 12:20 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=21311

That emachineshop.com (http://www.emachineshop.com) sounds like a great place to get this done at... but then again, I wouldn't be the one doing the drawings... so I don't really know.

Hmm. That looks promising. Well anyone, who is interested should let me know.

keruhas184
02-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Well anyone, who is interested should let me know.

:squint: I thought you wanted to do the drawings to help out the 3gee community... Giving back to the people thing, you know :lol:

smufguy
02-28-2005, 01:53 PM
all this talk and no pictures, what the fuck fellas??????????

SteveDX89
02-28-2005, 02:35 PM
:squint: I thought you wanted to do the drawings to help out the 3gee community... Giving back to the people thing, you know :lol:

I would be helping but I'm not footing the bill for it.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-01-2005, 08:51 AM
i also seen his swap pics are he did make it look like a simple swap.. he did things i wiuld of never thought of. i am using his method for my swap. as for the axils, you just gotta mix and match until you get whats right, as soon as it gets warm (we just got aonther 7 inches os sonw) i will start working on the axil problem

SteveDX89
03-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Haha. Dude you always spell axle wrong. :stupid: :D

SQ is the SQUAD
03-01-2005, 09:19 AM
i cant help it, i ride to school on the small bus

pendejo
03-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Hondavtec, whats up with your headlights, they kinda look like a late model Prelude lights???

SQ is the SQUAD
03-01-2005, 01:04 PM
ding ding ding folks, we have a winner!

pendejo
03-02-2005, 02:57 PM
ding ding ding folks, we have a winner!

sorry, didn't see your other post in a different forum :uh:

ICEMAN707
03-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Sounds good to me. I also have been thinking of making fabrication drawings of the mounts for production. I plan to pull my motor back out and while it's out, I can use my engineering background, etc. to make accurate drawings. Now I will need to find somewhere to have them made. If I did this, I would prefer to have them machined from solid aluminum so they would be HASport quality instead of PRI's weld together job. It all depends on the cost, the interest and commitment of people to buy.

count me in man. pull your b16 and make templates of those PRI mounts out of posterboard or something! then trace each individual sections on paper and make a spec sheet. i'm sure that's all Hasport needs to make some real quality mounts. heck, i'll pay 100 bux just for the spec sheet. do it man!!! :bowrofl:

SteveDX89
03-09-2005, 08:02 PM
count me in man. pull your b16 and make templates of those PRI mounts! i'm sure that's all Hasport needs to make some real quality mounts. do it man!!! :bowrofl:

Better get 9 friends first. Will have to do it as a group buy.

ICEMAN707
03-09-2005, 08:09 PM
hmmm i dont really need to have it made. i can find a local machine shop to make me some. i just need a spec sheet on the PRI mounts :). like i said, i'd pay $100 for a spec sheet...provided it's extremely accurate.

also, i dont wanna waste money on buying mix and match axles. does anyone in here really exactly know which 2 axles fit the 3gee with a B-series engine?

88tandx
04-01-2005, 12:05 AM
shit, 100 bux?? id give you my first born... provided i spend enough time away from my car and this forum to find me a wife. but seriously ill chip in for mounts/spec sheet/anything that makes me able to put in a b-series. so much talk about all this stuff on the forums and noone ever doing nething about it. get 'er done!

-joe

gp02a0083
04-01-2005, 06:44 AM
hi everyone , even tho im a n00b to the whole import stuff i was sondisering the b 16 swap for my 89 hatchie wehn i get out of college. but really if u thing issues with axel lengths and such is gonna be a problem go to a local body shop and ask if u can have a printout o the front end engine bay and geometry (i should know working for a few years in a body shop) it basically is a CAD drawing with measurments . but yah my hatchie might be a canadiate for a swap soon the engine had 150k on it but as with all hondas i guess it still is runnin good lol. hey i didnt know there was some one from manalapin on here anyone else fairly close to freehold and or jackson?

88tandx
04-01-2005, 10:09 PM
new jersey rolling deep up in here. i hope this guy gets back to us soon cuz i keep getting my hopes everytime someone is like I KNOW HOW WE CAN DO B-SERIES SWAPS!!! and then i find out he really doesnt or people say they'll do group buy or get schematics and it nevers works out.

i graduated from freehold highschool last year. you know any cats from there?

-Joe

mouchyn
04-01-2005, 10:50 PM
new jersey rolling deep up in here. i hope this guy gets back to us soon cuz i keep getting my hopes everytime someone is like I KNOW HOW WE CAN DO B-SERIES SWAPS!!! and then i find out he really doesnt or people say they'll do group buy or get schematics and it nevers works out.

i graduated from freehold highschool last year. you know any cats from there?

-Joe

here, i'll do a write up.

1. take measurements of the b series engine you want to use. length, width, height, everything.
2. take measurements of the engine bay
3. measure from the hub to where the transmission would be.
4. find honda axles that come close to your measurements
5. using your selected axles, figure out where in the engine bay your b series motor has to sit
6. now that you know where the motor has to sit, mark where mounts have to be installed on the car
7. figure out mount angle. this shouldn't be hard since the a20 sits damn neat straight up and down. the 3g has a pretty high hood.
8. (assuming you don't have a welder) take the car and stock mounts to a machine shop. tell them where you want the stock mounts welded to the car and what angle they need to be. The tech will fabricate adpating brackets and stuff for you. It shouldn't cost you more than a couple hundred bucks.
9. bring the car home.
10. swap out ECU and wiring harness.
11. swap out any parts in the 3G engine bay that are not compatible with the b series engine or ECU.
12. install engine
13. install axles and reassemle suspension
14. drive your b series powered 3G

88tandx
04-01-2005, 11:19 PM
you make it sound, so, easy. im still hoping this guy comes through with his pri mounts and we can make nice ass billet ones and everyone can enjoy the b-series goodness

mouchyn
04-01-2005, 11:39 PM
it IS easy. there's ALL kinds of room in the 3G accord engine bay. maybe it's because i come from the 3G prelude community. The super low hood line of the 3G prelude requires that the b20a engine in there lean back 18 degrees. Making mounts for something like that in a cramped engine bay is a little more difficult, but still, people do it all the time. very cheaply.

the 3G community doesn't bother with the b series engines, though. they're gutless. Most just go right for the h22. I mean, if you have to make totally custom mounts and axles anyway, why go with an engine that only makes 15 lbs more of torque than the stock motor?

-i'm pretty sure you could use the driver side mount on a b16.
-the front sub frame on the accord is wide open. position the rubber insulator wherever it needs to go, drill holes and bolt it down. two out of 4 done
-there isn't even a tranny mount on the passenger side on the accord. all you have to do is weld a bracket/mount over there wherever you need it.
-on the back of the engine, the rear engine bay subframe is also wide open. either weld or bolt down your insulator there and you're good to go. engine is in place
-make the axles fit
-and you're done.

i'm going to the junk yard this weekend and getting some pics and measurements of a b series engine. i'll post up drawings.

sheesh. not everything needs to be "bolt-in." exercise a little creativity. i bet you would be surprised what happens.

diegoaccord
04-02-2005, 07:42 AM
the 3G community doesn't bother with the b series engines, though. they're gutless. Most just go right for the h22

3G community doesn't bother? That's a laugh, oh the A20 is so high and mighty, that a lowly B16A isn't worth a bother.

How many H22's are there? 1, maybe another on the way. You make it seem as though H22 Accords are plentiful. You realize that the main limiting factor is money? Most can't do a B series, because of money, not because they don't want to. You give each member here a $2000 certificate and tell them "You can only use this on your 3G." 98% would have a B16, or B18(LS version).

mouchyn
04-02-2005, 08:32 AM
i was talking about the 3G prelude. read my post closer, bud. the b16 just doesn't make enough torque to move the prelude well enough. 3G prelude people don't even bother. They just go right for the h22.

SteveDX89
04-02-2005, 03:02 PM
It's not as easy as you say it is. The B series tranny is much bigger than the A20 tranny. I have stock belt clearance on mine but the tranny is almost against the frame rail. Pulling the tranny with the engine in would prove to be extremely difficult if not impossible. There is plenty of room front to back but side to side is another story.