PDA

View Full Version : Motor mount..+ alternator

Dutchboy
02-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Sorry guys i cant find anything on the site here and parts guys here know nothing........

I need to know if a front motor mount from a automatic is different than a 5 speed???

Ive been super busy and almost no time to take care of the 3gee but i noticed that my engine was sloping more down to the passenger side and when i loosened the 2 mount bolts on the timing belt mount my engine dropped to level after about 1/2"...
I replaced the front mount about a year ago with a mount from a automatic 4 door sedan.....i have a 2door coupe 5 speed!
So i am wondering .. was the mount from the automatic shorter than the mount used for 5 speeds????????????? for the meantime i used washers to space the side mount to keep my engine level..

Next ques is i also noticed that my alternator wasnt lining up straight... so once again i used washers for now to level it out and keep the blet staright.....
Is there a spacer supposed to be between top bracket and alternator???? I dont remember dropping anything when i changed the alternator but then again that was a long time ago>!!

Immeraufdemhund
02-28-2005, 09:46 AM
yes there is a spacer that goes next to the alternator and the bracket. It's about 1/4inch thick.

as for the mount I only remember there being a difference in the mount that is on the crossmember being different with a 5spd and a auto. Are you talking about the front mount that is by the radiator and closer to the tranny? Cause if you are i dont know nothing about those cept how to change it.

Dutchboy
02-28-2005, 08:07 PM
THanks for the info.. 2 washers works just well enough for me!!

as for the motor mount
im talking about the mount by the radiator...
i sort of remember the automatic front motor mount was shorter than the original that was in ... t was just too long ago for me to remember though... if i had a day off id hit up the junk yard but havent had time yet.

Mabye if someone on here who has a 5speed is nice enough to measure from the crossmember to the bottom of the mount bracket for me then i will know if im dreaming things...i want to know before i reset the mounts according to the manual..

THanks Immeraufdemhund !!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
02-28-2005, 09:29 PM
According to the Honda EPC, the front engine mounts for both auto and manual were the same between 86 to 88. In 89 two different part numbers are listed.

86-88:
5MT and 4AT : 50810-SE0-932

89:
5MT: 50810-SE0-932
4AT: 50810-SE0-A02

If you pulled the mount out of a 89 Accord Sedan Auto, then you may very well have the incorrect mount (assuming those p/n's make a difference).
Hope this helps.

Strugglebucket
02-28-2005, 10:13 PM
i don't think the height is any different. it's just that the '89 auto mount is liquid filled.

danronian
03-01-2005, 05:46 AM
My 89 lx-i 5-speed mount was liquid filled originally.

Strugglebucket
03-01-2005, 03:49 PM
hmm. since there are only 2 part numbers, does that mean they're all liquid filled?
i know there are some people who said they're front mounts weren't.

anybody know what the deal is with the front mount?

Dutchboy
03-01-2005, 07:55 PM
i dont remember what i pulled it out of but i vaguely remember it being shorter and didnt clue in to it enough and i just never paid attention to it....plus i dont know were the original is anymore... with my luck its shorter and the source of my vibrations at 110km/h and up
If i remember to take my manual to work one day this week im going to reset the mounts to the specs in the service manual and see what happens ...

thanks for the input guys !!
still if someone has a time to measure the height that would be awesome.. before i start throwing a spacer in there and find out it was all kosher before

POS carb
03-04-2005, 11:44 AM
You May Be Right, I Recently Replaced My Front Mount And My Engine Dips Lower On The Driver's Side Than Before

,edit. lol@ the anti caps-lock feature maybe you should invest in an autopunctuation feature so that stuff like this is less common on the site i'm going to try looking for the cause of my lean-back engine ,edit

Strugglebucket
03-17-2005, 08:41 PM
ok, just to add to the confusion:

the '89 actually had THREE different front mounts. the '89 lx-i/se-i had its own special mount, the 50810-SEO-J31. it is not liquid-filled.

so,

86-88:
5MT and 4AT (all): 50810-SEO-932 (solid?)

89:
5MT (DX, LX): 50810-SEO-932
5MT (LX-i/SE-i): 50810-SEO-J31 (solid)
4AT (all): 50810-SEO-A02 (liquid-filled)

i don't know about the 932, but after comparing the A02 with the J31, it appears that the auto mount is taller. by at least a ¼". at first i thought this might be because the auto mount compresses more when under load, but that does not appear to be the case. the 5-speed mount is only slightly stiffer, if at all, than the auto mount. which leads me to believe that the auto and manual transmissions may have a different mounting bracket for the front engine mount.

on majestic's site, there is a single diagram that appears for engine mounts regardless of which trim level or year you type in:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/luby555/enginemountsdiagram.gif

as for the mount brackets, this is where it starts getting a bit confusing. there are apparently three different mounting brackets, but on majestic's site they are listed in a very odd way that doesn't make sense. i think i'll have to take a trip to the junkyard to figure this one out. :uh:

Strugglebucket
07-16-2005, 12:28 AM
sorry, i forgot all about this.

the auto and manual front engine mount brackets on the '89 lx-i/se-i's ARE different. the manual mount bracket is almost ¼" taller. '86-'88 and '89 dx/lx all used the same bracket regardless of auto or manual.

this might explain why a couple people tore their brand new manual front mounts in half after doing a 5-speed swap?:dunno: a manual mount with an auto bracket probably wouldn't be a good idea. remember: this only applies to '89 lx-i/se-i.

carotman
07-16-2005, 02:02 AM
Yeah, the 89 EFI engines have a taller front bracket. The stud on the engine mount is different too. It's the same as a carbed 5 speed engine but the stud is longer.

The auto mount has a taller body

Dutchboy
07-17-2005, 10:19 AM
thanks ..i forgot about this too..

I cant remember what year car the mount was from that i got ...i havent even touched my car in a long time. i know i haev driveline vibration but that doesnt bother me anymore..

i think i will take the time soon to play with the heights a bit.. i ll make a spacer to go under the mount and see if the difference in height will do anything ..

thanks for taking the time to look this over Strugglebucket and Carotman!!!!!!!

superdesi
07-22-2005, 07:23 AM
ok, just to add to the confusion:

the '89 actually had THREE different front mounts. the '89 lx-i/se-i had its own special mount, the 50810-SEO-J31. it is not liquid-filled.

so,

86-88:
5MT and 4AT (all): 50810-SEO-932 (solid?)

89:
5MT (DX, LX): 50810-SEO-932
5MT (LX-i/SE-i): 50810-SEO-J31 (solid)
4AT (all): 50810-SEO-A02 (liquid-filled)

i don't know about the 932, but after comparing the A02 with the J31, it appears that the auto mount is taller. by at least a ¼". at first i thought this might be because the auto mount compresses more when under load, but that does not appear to be the case. the 5-speed mount is only slightly stiffer, if at all, than the auto mount. which leads me to believe that the auto and manual transmissions may have a different mounting bracket for the front engine mount.

on majestic's site, there is a single diagram that appears for engine mounts regardless of which trim level or year you type in:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/luby555/enginemountsdiagram.gif

as for the mount brackets, this is where it starts getting a bit confusing. there are apparently three different mounting brackets, but on majestic's site they are listed in a very odd way that doesn't make sense. i think i'll have to take a trip to the junkyard to figure this one out. :uh:

I have an 89 LX-i automatic. I ordered part number 50810-SEO-A02 and received it today. How can I make sure it is liquid filled? Also, according to the diagram above (illustration 2) was it not supposed to come with that bolt looking thing or nut?