PDA

View Full Version : Blown head gasket?

slow87LX
02-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Alright so I pulled out of the mall parking lot today, looked in my mirror and noticed TONS of white smoke coming out of my exhaust. I pulled over and popped the hood and everything sounded normal, so I shut off the motor. My brother said it sounds like a blown head gasket. I towed the car home now if I did blow the head gasket, what exactly do I need to do to fix it? Do I just need to replace the gasket or could it have affected anything else? My friend and I are going to try to fix it next weekend if possible so any help would be greatly appreciated..

BlueBead
02-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Does sound like the gasket....
You should get the head to block mating surface ground by a machine shop if its out of spec. Get a haynes manual or download the e-manual from Pauls Site. That will give you procedure and the specs.
You want to replace some other things at the same time; ie timing belt and some more gaskets while you have it all apart.
I've done two so far, and its not as hard as you think. If you're buddy is there the whole time you're set; it makes doing the timing a snap.
Use the search button for 'head gasket' and you'll find some more info from those of us who have done it before.
Make sure you replace your oil; it could have let water into the oil, which will sludge and kill the bearings and rings if not replaced.
Good luck!

89HondaAccord
02-27-2005, 11:56 PM
if your not sure do this procedure.....check and see if your oil dip stick has white kinda milky lookin cream lookin like on the stick...if so ...your head gasket is gone....

shepherd79
02-28-2005, 04:23 AM
well, make sure it is coolant that you are burning.
start the car and smell the fumes. if they smell sweet that is coolant.

rutterg
02-28-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi,
I had the same thing. It strated with a bit of white smoke when hot, and one evening it was like a steam engine. The inside of the valve cover was covered with yellow, brown oil and water mixture. I suspected the head was warped or cracked since the oil inside the block was looking clean so i swapped the gasket and the cilinder head too. Quite a bit of work. No problems since. Remember to connect all groud wires and vacuumhoses or your enige will run like shit.