PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch

accordrcr86
02-28-2005, 01:29 PM
After my car was vandalized, I found out they had screwed up my ignition switch...is there anyway that I can replace it all myself including takeing it off of the steering colume or do I have to take it in to someone???

pendejo
02-28-2005, 02:03 PM
You can remove it yourself, fairly simple job. I will recommend you take the locking cylinder(where the key goes) to a locksmith and have them fix it. I bought 3 or 4 new ones that did not fit my car. When you have the cylinder out, check the actual switch to make sure it is OK. You can start it with a screwdriver, and it should stay running, by inserting a flathead screwdriver into it and turning. Mine would flip back to ACC position and shut the car off. A new switch was about $60 from Honda. Good luck!

A20A1
02-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Just don't forget to disconnect the battery. :)

accordrcr86
03-01-2005, 12:19 AM
the locking cylinder is what I mean to say, thats what I want to remove or do I need to take it to a lock smith, right now I have been using a flat head screwdriver to start it lol

pendejo
03-01-2005, 11:22 AM
No, you can remove it yourself. It's been awhile, but all you have to do is take off the panels around the steering column(I think) and then there is a small tab you push in with a small allen wrench(I think you need to have it in the ON position while doing this) and it should come out, then take it to a locksmith. I think I payed $13 to have mine fixed, instead of $30 for a new one from Napa, etc... that kept giving me the wrong one. Honda doesn't sell just the cylinder, you have to buy the whole kit and kaboodle for $200+ dollars! Once you get the cylinder out though, check the switch itself, you only want to do this once!!

accordrcr86
03-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Hey thanks for the help, im gonna give it a try and see if I cant get that bastard out of there lol.