PDA

View Full Version : ignition upgrade, what do you guys think...

AccordNut
03-01-2005, 04:32 PM
i found this on ebay and after searching through the forum it seems like a good fit for the 3g, just wanted to know how you guys like it? only problem is the specs on the lx-91 coil say its not meant for race and extended high rpm usage so i guess thats kinda bad haha

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7957711324&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

NXRacer
03-01-2005, 04:52 PM
its a good module and would deffinately be a worthwhile upgrade to your car.

A20A1
03-01-2005, 05:24 PM
LX-91 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7957711324&category=33689&sspagename=WDVW#ebayphotohosting)

It has a 54.1 turn ratio

The LX-92 has a 60:1 ratio

The Accel Super Coil I have has a 70:1

The Blaster 2 is a 100:1 ratio

I need to read up more on the turn ratio and coil performance... but it seems like higher the RPM's the more turns... then again more turns could have it's downside.

The mallory promaster coil has a 105:1 turn ratio and a high rpm one with 129:1

AccordNut
03-01-2005, 05:59 PM
so thats a bad turn ratio, what does that mean? speak english to an ignition noob! lol

SQ is the SQUAD
03-01-2005, 07:14 PM
damn, i am lost now, i got an msd sci with the sci coil, what does it have?

AccordNut
03-01-2005, 07:35 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37102

a20a1 made an awesome faq for this kind of thing, even though i dont quite understand it all....but its got tons of info

smufguy
03-02-2005, 12:13 AM
more the turn ratio, more voltage the system outputs.

But in all honesty, if your car is close to stock, or to say, ur motor is stock and ur not running boost or nitrous, then leave the ignition system stock. if you badly want one, get a replacement msd or accel coil alone rather than the igntion module itself.

A20A1
03-02-2005, 01:16 AM
Coil Turns Ratio
By winding more turns of wire on the secondary coil than on the primary coil, a voltage step-up can be produced.
The degree of voltage step that can be induced in the ignition coil is generally proportional to turns ratio.
Example: 100 secondary turns for every 1 primary turn is a 100:1 turn ratio
250 volts "in" will produce 25,000 volts "out" given a 100:1 turns ratio.
Increase voltage step by increasing the turn ratio
Too high a tun ratio and secondary voltage can drop.
As voltage output is increased, the current output is decreased.
As turn ratio is increased, other electronic properties are affected, such as resistance, reactance, and impedance.
The best high performance coil is not usually one with just a high turn ratio.

I also read that some cars like more current and other perfer more voltage.
I'm fine with my 70:1 turn ratio Accel... and I've seen a few cars with the 70:1 MSD SS coil.

AccordNut
03-02-2005, 04:21 AM
well my car is n/a i have a wpn r intake, dc header, pacesetter exhaust, and ngk plugs/wires. i suppose just replacing the stock coil with an aftermarket one would be more cost effective than buying a control box huh?

Terremotico
03-02-2005, 05:42 AM
Hi guys (and gals -dont want to be kicked for being sexist or anything), I have been reading on the 3 gen board for a while but never posted anything.
I do have a 3 gen accord. It is a carburated automatic hatchback 1988. It has no modifications at all. But that's is why I am writing. I am planning to do some small stuff. I just purchase a set of wheels (Itkari-15'' 205/55 Dunlops). Now I was thinking to change the coil.
Can i expect a gain in performance/HP if I change the coil? if that is so, how much improvement should I get?

Any other small stuff I can do to get some extra horsies?... I Understand that the car new was about 98 HP... as it is, maybe 10 horses have died. Although I did change all valves and valve seals, head gaskets and other things. (which I am proud of, never worked in a car before).

Any advise whould be great. As I said... new kid =dumb questions. But the one that never asks is a fool forever.

All right...shoot me!!

Terremotico (= little earthquake) :uh:

snow_man_20
03-02-2005, 06:02 AM
Hi guys (and gals -dont want to be kicked for being sexist or anything), I have been reading on the 3 gen board for a while but never posted anything.
I do have a 3 gen accord. It is a carburated automatic hatchback 1988. It has no modifications at all. But that's is why I am writing. I am planning to do some small stuff. I just purchase a set of wheels (Itkari-15'' 205/55 Dunlops). Now I was thinking to change the coil.
Can i expect a gain in performance/HP if I change the coil? if that is so, how much improvement should I get?

Any other small stuff I can do to get some extra horsies?... I Understand that the car new was about 98 HP... as it is, maybe 10 horses have died. Although I did change all valves and valve seals, head gaskets and other things. (which I am proud of, never worked in a car before).

Any advise whould be great. As I said... new kid =dumb questions. But the one that never asks is a fool forever.

All right...shoot me!!

Terremotico (= little earthquake) :uh:

Mod, please delete this, i may have over reacted.

A20A1
03-02-2005, 12:08 PM
The coil doesn't increase power... what it does is allow you to increase the spark plug gap... normal copper plugs are better for gapping the platinums. anyways the larger gaps give you a better burn so that gives you some more power. but it's the combination of the higher output ignition with the larger gap... one wont work without the other to make power on it's own.
The coil by itself will just give you a little more consistency... and a larger gap by itself may not fire or will drop in consitency.

The coils I wold get would be the MSD SS or ACCEL SUPER COIL

I've tried the MSD BLSTER 2 and ACCEL SUPER STOCK and they performed the same.

http://www.3geez.com/showpost.php?p=453748&postcount=6

Terremotico
03-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Thank You A20A1.
I had no Idea of the combination of spark plugs and coil.
I'll keep reading the forum. Lots to learn.

leaving...got to buy some sparks...