PDA

View Full Version : Board Backup?

HostileJava
03-03-2005, 12:21 PM
A while ago when the board went down for monetary reasons a backup was discussed since it was possible if it was down for to the long the database would have been deleted. I'm just curious if anything was ever done as a backup solution or if we are still operating without one. We really should have somthing.

Vanilla Sky
03-03-2005, 12:23 PM
if i had a file server, i'd offer to back it up... i don't think it's been backed up, though

87accordlxi
03-03-2005, 12:32 PM
The latest backup I've done was in early February, and it is on my computer. I regularly do backups every couple months because in the grand scheme of things and how long we've been around, losing a few weeks data isn't that catastrophic. Also, backing up our database is extremely server-intensive and causes noticeable performance loss to the server during the process.

Vanilla Sky
03-03-2005, 12:37 PM
hmm... is that wy the board was glitchy for a bit?

87accordlxi
03-03-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm not really recalling any time when the board was "glitchy." When backups are done, there is about a 30-45 minute time frame when the database is being zipped up & downloaded and the server becomes noticeably slower. I don't like doing it very often because there are other sites on this server besides us.

Vanilla Sky
03-03-2005, 12:50 PM
in early feb the board came back as unavailable due to server issues or something like that... wasn't a real problem, as i just hit refresh and it came up... is this a posibility?

and i thought we got a dedicated server...

87accordlxi
03-03-2005, 12:55 PM
It might have been. The backup would have been made during the day. We are still on a shared server. Dedicated servers are prohibitively expensive, and we didn't need one anyway. Our old host tried to get us to upgrade to a dedicated server after they shut us down, but that wasn't happening.

A20A1
03-03-2005, 01:19 PM
I usually see board shut down member access while they are doing work... but you can still veiw the board... but not sign in.

HostileJava
03-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Well I'm glad to hear it's being backed up. I just for some reason remember it was discussed a while ago, but didn't remember if anything ever came of it. If you are having any space or speed(10mb/sec:D) issue Joe, I'd be more then happy to help out on that front. But it looks like you've got it all taken care of.

Vanilla Sky
03-03-2005, 11:12 PM
i would like to see it backed up in 2 places, though... that way if for some reason the board dies and the copy goes, there is still a backup... that's how i would do it if i operated the board... then again, i'd try to afford a dedicated server, too... i'm just anal that way...

lots of things i'd do differently if this place were mine, but you don't change a business model that works