PDA

View Full Version : Amp fuses

Koopsta
03-03-2005, 01:39 PM
when i got the amp installed the fuse lasted for many months that blew, now since i've replaced it (fuse) blews like every week WTF wrong should i use a stronger fuse or a expensive one? :dunno: what do you think

According2Me
03-03-2005, 01:57 PM
it depends...You could have a problem in your subs (blown voice coil) and they are shorting out...you could have a bad capacitor in your amp itself...I would NOT use a bigger fuse than what was in there before, unless you want to burn that biatch down. good luck... OH!!!! Check your remote wire and RCA's...I had a RCA wire with an internal remote that melted and kept shorting everything out...

Mac
03-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Never a good idea to use a bigger fuse. Fuses are protective devices. If they blow, there is usually a problem that might do more damage if the fuse wasn't there. By putting in a bigger fuse, you are not fixing the original problem but might be creating a bigger problem. If a fuse keeps blowing you should find the short and repair it. If you bypass or increase the fuse you might end up burning something up.

HostileJava
03-03-2005, 04:46 PM
The fuse is blowing for a reason, the reason the first one went is the same reason all the others are only lasting a week. If you continue to just keep replacing fuses you WILL damage your amp more. I've seen it over and over again working at an electronics repair shop. People just don't get that there is a reason fuses blow.

Koopsta
03-04-2005, 09:42 AM
how would i go bout checking for blowen voice coil or a short in thee rcas or some where else. Any ideas of where to begin :stupid:

HostileJava
03-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Do you have an ohm or multi meter?

According2Me
03-05-2005, 03:44 PM
well...if you have a blown voice coil, the sub will have quite a bit of "cone wobble"...which is when the sub hits, you can hear more speaker noise than you hear sound reproduction. Also...go through and check each wire individually... Power wire...ground wire...RCA's...remote wire(usually blue, thin wire), and speaker wire. maybe you have a rub on your ground or power wire that is rubbing against the amp case.

Magny
03-06-2005, 05:25 PM
all the fuse amp ratings should be the same sometimes less. Like my main power wire has a 40 on it, dis block has a 30 and the amp has 2 15s. so the 2 15s is sufficient for the 30 and the 40 on the main is to help with the cap and amp.although the cap doesnt have a fuse, its just there top provide the xtra flow to keep it charged.

HostileJava
03-06-2005, 07:01 PM
I don't know what your going on about here. But if you only have one amp and each channel is fused at 15amps then the most you'll ever pull from that circuit is 30 amps before one of the fuses blows in the amp. The only reason you have fuses after the amp is in case your positve shorts out, it will start drawing ALOT of current and pop the fuse at your distro block if the short is between that and the amp or the fuse at the battery if the short is between the battery and the distro block. You shoud never replace the fuses in your amps with anything larger then what they come with.

Magny
03-07-2005, 01:29 PM
dont know if you knew what i was talkin about for the fuses for the amp, i only have one amp not 2, and its a 4 channel. wasnt sure if you knew what i was fully stating, might of not given enough details, sorry

HostileJava
03-07-2005, 01:38 PM
dont know if you knew what i was talkin about for the fuses for the amp, i only have one amp not 2, and its a 4 channel. wasnt sure if you knew what i was fully stating, might of not given enough details, sorry

Doesn't matter how many amps you have or how many channels, in your current setup you have 2 15 amp fuses one protecting the two right channels and one protecting the two left channels, the most you'll ever pull through that is 30 amps before they blow.

Magny
03-07-2005, 06:46 PM
well i wasnt sure if you were on the same page as i was about the amps, so guess we are.