PDA

View Full Version : +*+*+*+*how Do I Wire 2 Channel Amp To 3 Subs+*+*+*+*

4dr88accord
03-04-2005, 08:27 AM
well the title says it alll... i want all 3 of them to have evan power wurs the best wiring techneqe

hondamotorz
03-04-2005, 09:24 AM
well the title says it alll... i want all 3 of them to have evan power wurs the best wiring techneqe

i didnt understand one word........

4dr88accord
03-04-2005, 07:30 PM
KKK i have 3 subs,,,, and an 2 channel amp.. what is the best way to hook em up properly so they all get evan bass.

HostileJava
03-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Is the amp bridgable? How many ohm can it handle? How many Ohms is each speaker rated at? And I don't know what you meant by KKK, but I wouldn't use that if I were you. Also there is no need to use symbols in the title, it's annoying. :uh:

87AccordsterLx
03-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Bridge the amp and run it parallel. Take the pos. lead from one channel and the neg. from the other channel and run the wires to one of the three subs. Then take wires and go from the sub that has power to the next one in line. Pos. to pos. and neg. to neg. Then connect the last sub in line to the one next to it. That is a parallel setup. Make sure your amp can be bridged before you do that. Also don't run the gain up too high. You are probably going to be running at 1 ohm or less.

HostileJava
03-06-2005, 01:18 PM
If those subs are 2 ohm I wouldn't recommend that, you will blow the output transisters when you turn the volume up. If the speakers are 4 ohm be very careful, most amps can't handle a 1 ohm load and you'll be running right around there at the very least you'll be blowing fuses, if you continue to do thar you'll be damaging your ouputs.

Magny
03-06-2005, 05:05 PM
there are 2 ways of doin it:

if your subs are 4 ohms, if you got different ohms, the end result will be very different.

parallel:
http://images.cardomain.net/sites/sounddomain/shop/woofer_wizard/3_4ohm_svc.gif

or in series:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/411000-411999/411307_33_full.jpg
(note: actual ohms may be different, was brainstorming)

But the configurations are true. As for all the stereo gurus out there, don't bug me for proof. I just know its tru from personal experience.

HostileJava
03-06-2005, 06:56 PM
I don't know how you got 5.5 for that Series circuit total, but in a series circuit you add all the loads together to get your total resistance, in that case it would be 12 ohms not 5.5

Magny
03-07-2005, 01:29 PM
i was only tinkering and not really gettin the tru numbers sorry lol

POS carb
03-15-2005, 10:47 AM
depends on the ohms... pay attention

if you wire a trio of subs in parallel (i.e. subs share the signal) then the resistance will be very low. in series it will be very high.

calculating a series circuit is easy, just add the resistance... three 4-ohm subs will add up to 12 ohms you can calculate a parallel circuit by dividing the ohms of 1 sub by the number of subs (only if the subs are all the same, if not then you need to use the equation) so three 4-ohm subs in parallel = 4/3 = 1.33 ohms
NOW

you have 2 choices, 12 ohms or 1.33 ohms . 12 ohms is a very high resistance and most amps (even bridged) won't bump hard at all with that kind of load. Forget about using 2 channels, it's 3 subs and won't help you unless you have dual voicecoil subs.
1.33 ohms is a very low restriction which means more amperage (and therefore watts) can flow for a given voltage the amp puts out. the problem is that the transistors in most amps can't handle a load that low. It WILL play and hard but you will probably be the proud owner of a dead amp in about a month. you need an amp that can handle 0.5 ohms per channel or 1 ohm bridged (most amps display the specification in stereo) and I can only think of the old Sony's off the top of my head.

I'd recommend you swap the amp for a good monoblock class D sub amp that can handle 1 ohm like the audiobahns or get rid of your subs and buy some 12 ohm woofers (I know JL and Cerwin-Vega make them) to get your load to 4 ohms and you can keep your current amp.

:werd: