PDA

View Full Version : Question about 88 Accord and engine swap question

MoDawG
03-04-2005, 10:18 AM
First question, Are 88 Honda Accord Ex 2 door (lx for US guys) are they carb or FI? I've seen a FI one a while back.

Second I have an 89 Accord Exi which is written off but the engine/interior and parts of the body are in mint condition. Im thinking of buying the 88 Accord 2 door EX and dropping the Exi engine in it. Is it a direct drop? Thanks!

SteveDX89
03-04-2005, 11:23 AM
If it's the same as the US LX, it is carbed. You can double check by lifting the hood. If you see a PGM-FI plague on the intake manifold, it's fuel injected.

The swap you're talking about is a direct swap except for induction. You can put the carb intake manifold and stuff on the other motor or convert the car to fuel injection.

POS carb
03-04-2005, 11:29 AM
eX SHOULD BE CARB ONLY IF IT AIS A 2.O SOME FOREIGN MODELS WERE WEIRD, THEY CAME WITH 1.8'S

EXI SHOULD DROP RIGHT IN HOWEVER YOU ENGINE MANAGEMENT IS DIFFERENT, IT'LL BE A PAAIN IN THE ASS TO PUT IN THE ecu AND WIRING HARNESS, ASK CAROTMAN

A20A1
03-04-2005, 01:08 PM
also the fuel system will need to be changed... so keep both cars around for as long as possible cause you need more then just the motor.

ShimriC
03-04-2005, 01:17 PM
do yall think its possible to turn a 86 accord sedan into a rear wheel drive car?

A20A1
03-04-2005, 01:50 PM
yes but you'd need a lot of fabriction experience or a lot of money... plus what engine do you plan to use? you could fit a FWD motor in the rear of the car or you can use a S2000 motor in the front, or maybe something from ma 4wd honda... then again there have been V8's fitted into a 4th gen accord.

Obviously since you are asking us you must not be confortable with or knowledgeable in fabrication work... so then you'll simply need $$$ and a good shop to do it for you.
Good luck.

MoDawG
03-04-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm not looking to do any custom fabrication or anything like that, just thought I can stick a FI in her. any who thanks for the answers guys

Ace
03-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Dude listen and this will be the hardest thing to understand if you do not have alot of knowledge just by a good fi vehicle I didn't realize it till I broke a rod in my block and bought a lx-i thats its really worth just buying a fi if you are serious

A20A1
03-04-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm not looking to do any custom fabrication or anything like that, just thought I can stick a FI in her. any who thanks for the answers guys

My other reply was aimed at ShimiriC since he asked if he could convert to RWD

MoDawG
03-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Alright, so I found out, it IS Fuel injected, are the 88 and 89 fuel injected engines the same?