PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating hook up

turfnnsurf
03-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Hello all, I just wanted to let anyone know I have found a local guy that does powdercoating. He did this DSM valve cover for a friend of mine and will be doing a second valve cover for me for the summer race season. Polished letters cost a little more but the price is reasonable, I think. $65 for a base coat of "almost chrome" then a top coat of transleucent red.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/345000-345999/345603_114_full.jpg

Let me know what you guys think?

leia
03-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Sexy sexy!!!!!!!!!

Does the powdercoating interfer with any of the dimensions or anything since it adds a tiny bit of thickness? Or is it all on the outside, and none on the inside?

Looks awesome to me.

2drSE-i
03-05-2005, 05:44 AM
almost positive it wont affect anything, but thats freakin awesome! there isnt much market for powder coating here in oklahoma, but its not like i have money anyway :kekeke: tell that guy hes got a new customer if i can find a job! (no dont, cuz i dont wanna get his hopes up, theres a bunch of old people working everywhere that teenagers should work here)

turfnnsurf
03-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Sexy sexy!!!!!!!!!

Does the powdercoating interfer with any of the dimensions or anything since it adds a tiny bit of thickness? Or is it all on the outside, and none on the inside?

Looks awesome to me.

When the valve cover is prepped for coating it is bead blasted to remove any old paint and debris then baked to pull any oils to the surface and finally degreased. Just before the coating is applied the bolt holes are plugged to keep them clean..

HostileJava
03-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Looks good brad, how local is he for me?

SQ is the SQUAD
03-05-2005, 12:22 PM
looks nice, i want to get a powdercoating kit if i can find someplace to put an oven

jonrichert
03-05-2005, 12:52 PM
looks very similar to a transparent red colour we do at our shop, did up an h22 cover with it a couple months ago and it was dang sexy.

RobT5580
03-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Make sure you wash it out because the sand blasting media will get caught up in the breather system. I was surprised how much was in there when i washed mine out.

turfnnsurf
03-05-2005, 02:26 PM
James, the guy that does the powder coating is 10 minutes from me in Morrisville, PA. If we have a Philly meet this spring i'll take you there if you like.

Jon, yes that is the same color this guy used, transparent/translucent red.

Rob, Yup I have heard of that happening so I rinsed this one out as soon as I got it home.