PDA

View Full Version : Emissions failed, need help

Ludi Mali
03-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Failed my emissions today. CO was 3.61. I'm thinking it has something to do with my egr tube not being hooked up and the high flow cat. Can i get a confirmation on this?

88accordhb
03-05-2005, 01:28 PM
if youre running the high flow cat, then it's not likely you'll pass.

to my understanding, it's like a hollow cherry bomb cat.

A20A1
03-05-2005, 03:03 PM
EGR lowers exhaust temp to lower NOX or whatever that was called... Is your cat really a cat or a test pipe made to look like a cat?

88accordhb
03-05-2005, 03:10 PM
i'm pretty sure it's your cat, my friend failed due to high carbon monoxide and NOx output because his the pipe was cracked between the flex and cat.

YK86
03-05-2005, 05:04 PM
High NoX is usually directly related to the EGR. Very common on the 4th gens since the EGR ports get clogged very easily. I'm not sure if it will harshly change other readings though. Probably want to hook it up again to be safe.

If your high flow cat is a "real" good quality high flow cat, then in most cases I've seen, it should get lower readings than the original cat. If it's just a test pipe or a cheaply made CC, then that might be your cause. Could also be your O2 sensor.

If I have trouble passing emissions here in BC, I usually get high octane gas, dump some more octane booster in it, retard the timing, make sure the car is tuned up, and drive the car atleast 30 minutes on the freeway or something before going to testing.

MrBen
03-05-2005, 07:25 PM
I'd be willing to bet it is your O2 sensor. When I was getting ready to sell the 3g, it failed emissions, so I replaced the O2 sensor and everything was fixed. Test results can be seen here: http://www.emissiontestwa.com/testrecordmultivin.cfm?lic=756lnz&vin=jhmba5428gc030191

smufguy
03-05-2005, 10:58 PM
i passed strict NJ emissions with a highflow cat. High carbon monoxide is what i failed for in emissions and i was just burning too much fuel. For you, check your pcv sytem for too much blow by, advance ur timing couple of degrees, change the spark plugs if you have not and like mentioned, change your O2 sensor(s) if they have not been changed.

Catalytic convertors have nothing to do with CO and CO2, they filter out NOx and Other by-products.

89HondaAccord
03-08-2005, 11:47 PM
i dunno if u still can but i checked ALLDATA and it said that Honda Accords have had problems passing the Emission tests and it was also a recall about that...so i have no clue if the Honda Dealer Ship will do it for free...

snow_man_20
03-09-2005, 12:12 AM
I'd be willing to bet it is your O2 sensor. When I was getting ready to sell the 3g, it failed emissions, so I replaced the O2 sensor and everything was fixed. Test results can be seen here: http://www.emissiontestwa.com/testrecordmultivin.cfm?lic=756lnz&vin=jhmba5428gc030191

Nice data ghettoaccord, i'm glad you posted that. I'm glad that i don't have to pass emissions yet. I say yet because i'm moving to the tri-cities area and i think thay have emissions tests.

So you just replaced the O2 sensor and it droped that much???

huh, good to know