PDA

View Full Version : Woops...oil light?

2drSE-i
03-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Well, i was going to a friends house, and i pulled a (rather quick) u-turn. The oil light started flashing........so i got scared. i pulled over, shut it off, and immediately checked my oil level. I have put 2500 miles on the oil, so it really shudnt be low or anything, or even thin, and it wasnt. the temp guage wasn't high or ne thing. i turned the car back on, and no light. Is this anything i need to worry about, or did i just jolt a sensor and it needed to reset? it was flashing, not staying on mind you.

A20A1
03-05-2005, 03:22 PM
The g-forces moved the oil to one side of the pan away from the oil pick-up tube... so you lost oil pressure temporarily... if you loose pressure you could get engine damage. Thats why they add baffels into performance oil pans to prevent the oil from moving away from the pick-up tube cause race cars are constantly going in and out of turns.

2drSE-i
03-05-2005, 03:29 PM
well im glad i pulled over so quickly.....thx mike (it is mike right?)

HondaBoy
03-07-2005, 07:06 PM
heh, mine does that if i take turns fast or make really hard stops when the oil is a little low. nothing to worry about unless the engine starts making knocking sounds or something. usually happens during a hard left, being that the oil pick up line is there on the left side of the oil pan. its not like you going to kill the engine if that happens though. now if the light still blinks after turning the car off and back on, then i'd worry.

2drSE-i
03-07-2005, 07:07 PM
well, i didnt know for sure, and thot, if this messes up my car, my dad will kill me, so i asked

knowledge is power......or at least will prevent death sometimes

Dr._8t9LX
04-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Just happened to me....and scared the crap out of me!!! Never had this happen untell I tightened up suspension with Justin86 parts!!!

Glad we got 3geez to answer questions!! :)

mouchyn
04-08-2005, 12:13 PM
this has happened to all of my 3G accords. I have had 3. If you're not careful, you could really do some damage to the engine. If you're getting oil lights like that, then it's time to start checking your oil every few days to make sure it's completely full. the more oil in the pan, the better.

If your engine is really dirty, then it's time to clean it up. There are numerous engine degreasers out there. The use of a toothbrush, a pressure washer, and some degreaser will help you track down any oil leaks if you have any.

by the way, after my accords started giving me flashing oil lights around sharp turns, the engines started to knock at start up. They all wiped the piston 2 and 3 bearings. I'm on engine number 4, now.

just make sure you keep plenty of oil in the car -- even if that means checking it a few times a week. it only takes a minute and it could mean the difference between a bad engine and a good engine.

Oldblueaccord
04-08-2005, 08:07 PM
I have done it once to mine. Make sure your oil is right tight full. Not even a half quart low. I myself use a bigger oil filter and add about 1/2 quart over . I took the oil pan off and measured it out the crank doesnt hit it. It be nice to have a windage tray. I tacked a baffle in my pan once but it just wasnt right and i got mad and cut it out so now I just have 2 little wings in there. I use 10/40 motor oil BTW that might make a slight differance.

wp

VTEC_Inside
04-08-2005, 09:19 PM
I've had that happen a couple times but only when the oil level was low and cornering hard. It was never on very long in either case.

As soon as I see the bugger I clutch in and coast, its never stayed on longer than a couple seconds so I've never had to shut it down.