PDA

View Full Version : shift rod boot ripped

jayshonda
03-05-2005, 06:43 PM
can the boot that keeps the shift rod greasy be changed easily withouth taking the tranny apart? I've squirted some grease on the rod, but withouth the boot to keep it in, it just washes away with the snow, salt and other wet crap on the road.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-05-2005, 07:52 PM
The boot can only be replaced by disassembling the transmission and removing the shift rod. I had a similar issue and was able to fix the problem by superglueing the torn boot together. It is no longer a harmonic-like piece, but rather stationary. I've had it like that for almost a year and it hasn't given me any trouble. Hope this helps.

AccordEpicenter
03-05-2005, 10:37 PM
that boot isnt really critical, people run them ripped for years

PhydeauX
03-07-2005, 09:37 AM
There is also a seal on the rod behind the boot to keep the crap out and the trans lube in. The boot is just a piece of over engineering.

andy

danronian
03-07-2005, 12:48 PM
On my old tranny the boot was ripped for years and it leaked nothing but since my "new" used tranny was sitting without fluid in it for a few years before I got it the inside seal for the rod must be dried up more so now the new trannny leaks alot out of that shifter rod than anywhere else but not more than a few drops a month since I checked the level and it didn't go down at all yet. To summarize, if it leaks alot through the torn boot just check your fluid at every oil change, otherwise don't worry about it.

88Accord-DX
06-02-2007, 09:25 PM
I'll be replacing this bushing that's in the manual transmission soon. So look out for a how-to on it in the future. Maybe in a month or two. It's going to be a good days work that I'm really not looking forward to.

lostforawhile
06-03-2007, 12:20 AM
yea i just have to live with the leak, the only problem it caused was the oil causes the rubber parts of the shift rod bushings to rot. i just made some new bushings out of aluminum so they don't rot