PDA

View Full Version : Help with control arm bushing

cbrf3
03-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Doin my friends upper control arms. bushings are good so im gonna reuse them. What methods u guys useing to get out the old bushings? I dont have a press or vise so scratch that idea.

MrBen
03-05-2005, 09:48 PM
You can cut it with a hack saw or something and bang it out, but you'll need to press the new one in which'll probably cost 20 bucks to have them done. Remember, if you're doing the front upper control arms, they only come with the arms and bushings, and not just as bushings.

cbrf3
03-05-2005, 11:06 PM
so its ok to cut it in half? the metal sleeve that the bushing fits in doesnt go all the way through to the other side then. I havent seen any pictures of the bushing kit so i dont wanna accidently cut something.

jayshonda
03-06-2005, 07:10 AM
when you bought the control arms you probably bougth without bushings. i bought mine online (ebay) from a guy who advertises parts. i think it is can-am or something like that. for just a few bucks more, I got the arms AND bushings/sleeve/long bolt/nuts/washers. since everything was new, it all went together pretty easy. the bushings weren't too hard to put in. just whap them with a hammer.

to get the old bushings out, get a long steel shaft. long enough to go from one end to the other. you will be pushing the bushings out from the inside. cutting is an easier way to get them out, but you said you were going to REUSE yours? obviosly, if you cut them they won't be good to reuse.

if it were me, i'd go back and buy new bushings, then you don't have to worry about killing the old bushings.