PDA

View Full Version : msd 6al

myaccord7
03-05-2005, 10:29 PM
i bought a msd 6al from 1988starter on here. i noticed it has a white and a red wire coming from the box. i looked in the "how to" and saw i needed to hook up the black and red. should i use the white wire as the black wire? thats how i have it right now and its not working. 1988starter said it worked for him. i dont know how to hook it up. im also trying to hool up a 2step to it. anyone have any info on those? which spot is for the launch and which spot is for the higher rev limiter? thanks

zach

myaccord7
03-06-2005, 03:39 PM
bump

bobafett
03-06-2005, 08:29 PM
i dont know where you are running into troulble, but i hooked up a msd 6A from the how-to and it worked perfectly. if you dont have it figured out tomorrow i can take some pictures and describe my wiring to ya if you would like

myaccord7
03-06-2005, 09:05 PM
yeah i look at it again tomorrow make sure my wires are all good and grounded right.

zach

PhydeauX
03-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Its fairly easy to install one.

The heavy black wire goes to the battery -
The heavy red wire goes to the battery +
The small red wire connects to the black/yellow wire that used to be on the coil +
The whire wire connects to the blue wire from distributor that was connected to the coil -
The blue wire from under the fuse box that was also connected to the coil - should be connected to the tach output
The orange wire connects to the coil +
The small black wire connects to the coil -

You can download the instructions here:
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/6series.pdf

The 2 step instructions are here:
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/8739_8737_frm22502.pdf

Module 2 is the Module that runs when the switch is not powered. This is normaly the high module.

Module 1 is usually the low rpm switch. Its active when the red wire sees +12v.

If you have a 5 speed the best way to wire it up is with the clutch safety circut. I don't have the diagrams and since my car is an 85 it doesn't have that circut so I can't help you there. My 2 step is wired to the cruise control switch. A wireing diagram and basic knowledge of electrical circuts shoud get you through this though.

andy

myaccord7
03-07-2005, 10:13 PM
i looked at all the wires today. i'll print out everthing you just said and check it again tomorrow. thanks for all the info.

zach

myaccord7
03-08-2005, 08:31 PM
well, what do you mean the blue wire under the fuse box goes to the tach output? i have the blue wire from the dist and the blue wire from under the fuse box connected with the white wire from the msd. and the yellow/black wire from the dist connected and the yellow/black wire from the fusebox conected to the red wire from the msd. i followed the picture in the HOW TO's, but you sound like yours is different. do you have any pictures of you setup? thanks

zach

PhydeauX
03-09-2005, 07:23 AM
The blue wire from under the fusebox is for the tach. You usually get a better tach signal when you pick it up from the msd tach output.

andy

myaccord7
03-09-2005, 08:55 AM
so what to i do? i also have a tach i need to hook up how do i do that with the msd? do you any pictures of yours? i guess i need to see one to understand. thanks

zach

buds302
03-09-2005, 12:09 PM
i dont have an msd yet but im gonna get one here soon. but i can help you wire up the tach with out havin to go through the firewall. all you need to do is take the guage cluster out and on the back of it it has words tellin you what goes where.all you do is follow the instructions that come with the tach and hook up the appropriate wires. somewhere back there it says ign - and ign+, then it says earth, thats your ground. if your tach has an internal light then your gonna wanna hook that up to. so you cant use the stock dimmer cause it wont work. but you can still hook it up. you take the pos. from the light and hook it up to illum.+ and take the ground and put it to the earth screw on there. and that way it will light up when you turn the lights on. the reason i did it this way was so i dont have all these friggin wires runnin through the engine bay! my tach works fine and i love it. but for all those who have an msd in their cars and it runs fine does the stock tach still work or did you have to get the tach adapter they sell?

PhydeauX
03-09-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm assuming you mean your going to be installing an aftermarket tach as well. If thats the case don't worry about the dash tach (blue wire under the fuse box) and just leave it hooked up as you have it. The tach will have a signal wire that should be hooked up to the tach output of the msd box, don't hook it up to the coil -. You don't need a tach adapter to run the accord tach.

andy

myaccord7
03-09-2005, 02:39 PM
so what do i do with the wires under the fuse box? do i hook them to anything? im still lost.

zach

myaccord7
03-10-2005, 08:44 AM
help

myaccord7
03-10-2005, 09:43 PM
ahhhh

PhydeauX
03-11-2005, 08:57 AM
The yellow black wire from under the fusebox is switched power from the ignition switch.
The yellow black wire from the distributor is the power feed for the ignitor.
The blue wire from under the fusebox is the tach signal wire.
The blue wire from the distributor is the coil trgger.

Both the msd and the ignitor need to be powered so they both the small red wire from the msd and the black yellow wire from the distributor need to be connected to the black yellow wire from under the fuse box.

andy

myaccord7
03-11-2005, 09:19 AM
so just like the "how to" picture. ok, thats how i have it and it doesnt work.

zach

PhydeauX
03-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Did you read the instruction manual I linked and go through the trouble shooting steps?

andy