PDA

View Full Version : intermitten wiper relay location?

jayshonda
03-06-2005, 10:53 AM
i have a cd manual that shows the location of a relay under the dash on the left side. if it's there it is hidden pretty good. i'm trying to figure why intermittent wiper and parking the wipers don't work on my 89 lxi.

it seems to me the non park and intermitent are connected as they both stopped working at the same time. it probably was a result of my trying to find a hot wire to jumper for dash lights, which weren't working. when i turned on the wipers, i could tell there was a short and disconnected my jumper immediately. however, it might have blown something.

the dash light problem is fixed but now the wipers won't park and intermittent does work.

i posted earlier about the "park" not working. someone said change the motor and see if it is the problem. that's like doing a heart transplant juse to "see" if the shortness of breath is fixed. it's not the cost of a motor, i just hate to do trouble shooting by shot gunning.

the online manuall also said to check for continuity between terminals for coninuity in both parked and mid position. it didn't say what is supposed to be or what is wrong if there is not continuity, which is my case. no continuity in either case. the motor does work fine in both low and high though. it just won't park and the intermittents won't work.

anyone with a suggestion other than "change the motor and see what happens?"

Mac
03-06-2005, 11:17 AM
The relay is on the back of the dash fuse panel. If you look behind the fuse panel you will see a few relays. The one you are looking for is the second one up on the side of the drivers door.(I think). Also you combination switch might be the problem. These switchs are known for dirty contacts.

jayshonda
03-07-2005, 09:42 AM
The fuse are hard to see let alone the back of it. There is no way I can get my meathooks behind that thing. Does the panel swing down or come out for easier access?

The relay is on the back of the dash fuse panel. If you look behind the fuse panel you will see a few relays. The one you are looking for is the second one up on the side of the drivers door.(I think). Also you combination switch might be the problem. These switchs are known for dirty contacts.

Moodybluesr
03-07-2005, 02:07 PM
I hate to reiterate what has already been said but every time I have ever seen a wiper stop "parking" the motor has been the culprit. Sourcing one at a junkyard shouldn't be too expensive (they charge about $5-10 around here) but they are kind of a pain to put in.

There is a circuit breaker within the motor assembly itself. If this goes bad the motor will no longer park the wiper where it is supposed to.

My FSM says that you can test your motor for continuity at the 5 pin connector. When the motor is "parked" there should be continuity between the GRN/BLK and BLU/WHT terminals. When the motor is in "center" position there should be continuity between the BLU/WHT and BLK terminals.

Mac
03-07-2005, 07:28 PM
the online manuall also said to check for continuity between terminals for coninuity in both parked and mid position. it didn't say what is supposed to be or what is wrong if there is not continuity, which is my case. no continuity in either case. the motor does work fine in both low and high though. it just won't park and the intermittents won't work.

Which side did you do the continuity check? The harness side or the motor side? The way I see it you should be checking continuity on the side that goes to the wiper motor. With the blades in parked position there should be contiuity between the GRN/BLK and BLU/WHT terminals. Then move the blades out of park position and there should be continuity between the BLU/WHT and BLK terminals as Moodybluser stated. This checks the switch inside the wiper motor. If you don't have continuity, you change the motor (because the switch is inside the motor)

If you have continuity on the motor side then you have an open wire, bad timer or dirty (bad) contacts in combo switch.

jayshonda
03-08-2005, 04:44 PM
i checked right on the wiper connector between the spade connectors (B&S and S&B). i took the connector apart and put the leads on the spade. there was no continuity between either. When I put 12V on
B and ground on either H or L, the wiper works fine in both low and high. it also works fine with the switch. the blades just stop whereever i turn it off. the intermitten doesn't work. putting it in intermittis is the same as putting it in low speed, it doen't pause.

Looking at the diagram, the circuit breaker must be good or the motor wouldn't work. I took off the plate to expose the rings and couldn't find any bad connections. It looks like I'll bow to the pressure and go get another motor. Problem is it pretty damn cold here and it's been snowing a lot. also i am a wuss. (also too old for this junk yard stuff)

By the way, what do they put a circuit breaker in the motor for? to protect the motor? if the breaker goes, the motor doesn't work and then you have to replace it anyhow. doesn't make sense.

Which side did you do the continuity check? The harness side or the motor side? The way I see it you should be checking continuity on the side that goes to the wiper motor. With the blades in parked position there should be contiuity between the GRN/BLK and BLU/WHT terminals. Then move the blades out of park position and there should be continuity between the BLU/WHT and BLK terminals as Moodybluser stated. This checks the switch inside the wiper motor. If you don't have continuity, you change the motor (because the switch is inside the motor)

If you have continuity on the motor side then you have an open wire, bad timer or dirty (bad) contacts in combo switch.

HostileJava
03-08-2005, 04:54 PM
By the way, what do they put a circuit breaker in the motor for? to protect the motor? if the breaker goes, the motor doesn't work and then you have to replace it anyhow. doesn't make sense.

If the motor get's stuck or shorted the whole system will start drawing large amounts of current. The fuse is there to protect your electrical system, not the motor.