PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension Question About Bushings

Wicked89AccordLXi
03-07-2005, 08:34 AM
I just recently purchased an 89 Accord Lxi from a guy off a local site, but it needs a rear upper control arm, not a bad fix, but he said that it needs front suspension work, and said that it might be the control arm bushings, or something along those lines. He said that it pulls to the right when your accelerating...which it does, a little bit. But my dad called our family mechanic, and he said that there might be a single bolt that is holding the control arm and suspension together and that if the bolt breaks, then the car wasn't even worth buying. And wants me to sell it, but since I wanted this car so bad, i want to know if this bolt excists and if it does break, and im screwed out of the $1,200 I paid for the car. Please help me! Email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Aaron

Oldblueaccord
03-07-2005, 08:51 AM
I just recently purchased an 89 Accord Lxi from a guy off a local site, but it needs a rear upper control arm, not a bad fix, but he said that it needs front suspension work, and said that it might be the control arm bushings, or something along those lines. He said that it pulls to the right when your accelerating...which it does, a little bit. But my dad called our family mechanic, and he said that there might be a single bolt that is holding the control arm and suspension together and that if the bolt breaks, then the car wasn't even worth buying. And wants me to sell it, but since I wanted this car so bad, i want to know if this bolt excists and if it does break, and im screwed out of the $1,200 I paid for the car. Please help me! Email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Aaron

Well

I have had my car for more then 10 years now and I cant think of any suspension bolt that if it breaks the whole car is junk. Unless you wreck :bowrofl:

The front and rear control arms are very easy to replace. From the dealership there about 60-80$ a piece.

The front control arm does have very soft bushings. You can buy just new bushings and sleave , I have a set I never used, it would be easy to do.

to do a front end check,

1: jack up one side of the car till the tire is off the ground other side must be on the ground still. I use the jacking point under the door.

2: grab the tire 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock it back and forth slow at first. might needsome one to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit otta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints other links

4: this check might show ball joints/upper links a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop /looseness while prying.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars

wp

w261w261
03-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Go to Majestic Honda's web site for exploded views of various parts of your car. They have pretty good prices on Honda parts also. I've bought from them several times and the stuff arrives quickly, plus they take parts back (with a 20% restock fee, not great but better than my local Honda dealer who said "fuggedaboudit").

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catdisplay.jsp

keruhas184
03-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Rear upper control arm: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7959989150 (I bought one from this guy this summer -- its legit and hes a great seller)

Pulling to the right can also be an issue with breaks/alignment/tire wear. Check those too.

w261w261
03-13-2005, 07:03 PM
If you hear thumping/banging noises out of the front, what you may also need are strut rod bushings. If they're gone it isn't dangerous, but you can get tired of the banging with every bump. Not an expensive fix, and you can do it yourself without too much trouble.

nswst8
03-14-2005, 04:47 AM
The last owner probably didn't do any up keep short of fluid changes.

Put a few bucks into the suspension and you will have a reliable ride.

But the one thing that you are going to run into here is labor cost, this will eat up your dollars fast if your having some mechanic do the work.

If you find a 3g member close to you that has done this work throw them some cash for showing you how to do this yourself.

Everytime some 3rd gen owner sees me with the 3g they ask questions, which end up bringing me some side work.