PDA

View Full Version : carb gasket

powderkey2
03-07-2005, 02:45 PM
one more question....can white smoke from the exhaust be caused by a leaking gasket in the carb?

A20A1
03-07-2005, 04:54 PM
yes there is a rubber one on the EFE plate as well as a regular paperish gasket between the EFE plate and the intake manifold... any of those could cause leaks...
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3654
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3659
Diregaurd any directions on the image.. just look at the labeling of where in small coolant hole is.
basicly the coolant hose at the rear base of the carb circulates coolant between the carb and intake manifold.

Mac
03-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Usually a bad carb gasket will create a vacuum leak. This will cause the car to run and idle rough. But Mike knows alot more than me, so listen to him.

A20A1
03-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Oh but to be sure it's not a blown had gasket you should check your oil and ratiator fluid for mixture between the two fluids which normally wouldn't be there. Not that everytime a gasket blows the fluids mix... just in some cases.

kilgorq
03-08-2005, 09:24 PM
White smoke when... All of the time or only when it is cold? Is the engine running hot? Does the oil look milky?

White = Water
gray = Rings
Blue = Usually Valve seals
Black = Richy Rich fuel air mixture

When you do find the source keep in mind that after you replace the gasket you will still get some white smoke for a little while (about 15 minutes or so) this is due to the moisture built up from the leak. Especially if you get anifreeze in the intake or cylinders.

powderkey2
03-09-2005, 05:39 AM
I'm getting white smoke when I try to adjust the idle. I think the carb has a leaking gasket. I just bought this little car and it had a remanuf carb on it that is about 1 year old. The battery light came on and I also suspecting the alt was going out. I have a pretty good parts car that I'm going to get the alt from this weekend. Also going to pull the carb and take a look at the gaskets. The car had been at a gas station and the mech there (the guy that installed the remanuf carb) said it was defective. I sprayed some carb cleaner around the base and it caused the engine to rev up some...so I leary of the quality of the installation.

thanks for all the help you guys