PDA

View Full Version : long block rebuild

snow_man_20
03-08-2005, 06:58 AM
hmmmm.. My thoughts on hondamanlxi thread http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=42153

$1000=long block rebuild, is even less then i thought it would be.

The reason that i'm asking is i'm thinking of starting a rebuild this summer.

mabie only doing the head this summer and then do the bottom end over next winter. I think the motor i have now is good for 50k or more, it's in really good shape.

the thing is i don't know how long the rebuild kits are going to be around. I have the room to store the motor so i was thinking of buying a motor stand and motor and start the rebuild. working on it probibly one or two weekends a month or so.

I have some idea on how to do a rebuild but i never have done one so i want to take my time and not rush it by any means.

My question is how long do you think the parts are going to be avalible to get?? I would like to wait on it but if the parts are going to go away then i'm going to start on it this year.

Oldblueaccord
03-08-2005, 07:26 AM
hmmmm.. My thoughts on hondamanlxi thread http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=42153

$1000=long block rebuild, is even less then i thought it would be.

The reason that i'm asking is i'm thinking of starting a rebuild this summer.

mabie only doing the head this summer and then do the bottom end over next winter. I think the motor i have now is good for 50k or more, it's in really good shape.

the thing is i don't know how long the rebuild kits are going to be around. I have the room to store the motor so i was thinking of buying a motor stand and motor and start the rebuild. working on it probibly one or two weekends a month or so.

I have some idea on how to do a rebuild but i never have done one so i want to take my time and not rush it by any means.

My question is how long do you think the parts are going to be avalible to get?? I would like to wait on it but if the parts are going to go away then i'm going to start on it this year.

my crystal ball is broke so the only thing I can add is do a google search there long blocks for sale way less the a grand im thinking $350 for a reman but its been a while since i searched. I was looking h22 prices at the time.

wp

racerx
03-08-2005, 09:48 AM
yeah rebuild kits are 300-350ish.

I'm getting the long block rebuilt right now, and it's costing me $1000 for the machinist to do it all for me:

-disassembly
-turned crank
-3 angle valve job
-port and polish head
-bore 4 cylinders 0.040 over
-a couple other misc things
-assembly
-includes full master rebuild kit
-3 year/unlimited mileage warranty on parts and labor

all for $1000. ask your local machine shop about it. if you can spend 1k, go this way.
at least, that's how I spent my 1k.

Oldblueaccord
03-08-2005, 11:17 AM
yeah rebuild kits are 300-350ish.

I'm getting the long block rebuilt right now, and it's costing me $1000 for the machinist to do it all for me:

-disassembly
-turned crank
-3 angle valve job
-port and polish head
-bore 4 cylinders 0.040 over
-a couple other misc things
-assembly
-includes full master rebuild kit
-3 year/unlimited mileage warranty on parts and labor

all for $1000. ask your local machine shop about it. if you can spend 1k, go this way.
at least, that's how I spent my 1k.

no what i saw was a remanufactured long block thats all the machining done/new parts you just add heads and a intake/carb.

wp

rjudgey
03-08-2005, 11:29 AM
yeah but thats just the basics, hone, un gapped rings, clean up block and paint to look pretty and thats it.

What Hondamanlxi should have said was $1000 budget race engine then it would look more of a bargain.

The re-build kits that some of these places use for their re-cons are crap rock products topline etc. their all rubbish, at preludepower.com people have had high failure rates on these.

Just for a quality oil, water and gasket kit you would be spending over $350 so how is a re-con engine that is only $350 going to be any good!! Probably last long enough for the old lady down the road who does 20mph and goes to the shops and back and thats it!!

racerx
03-08-2005, 12:51 PM
uh, if you supply the head then it's a short block.

btw, I don't know what kit my machinist is getting, but he said topline was crap too.
i've been taking engines to this guy for a while now, so he's probably cutting me some slack, but i don't think it would cost anyone over 1400 to get there engine done like mine. the whole valve train is being worked on too.

Oldblueaccord
03-09-2005, 09:31 PM
uh, if you supply the head then it's a short block.

btw, I don't know what kit my machinist is getting, but he said topline was crap too.
i've been taking engines to this guy for a while now, so he's probably cutting me some slack, but i don't think it would cost anyone over 1400 to get there engine done like mine. the whole valve train is being worked on too.

http://www.unitedengine.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=UE&Product_Code=LBHO030&Category_Code=LB6

5 min google search. Not saying any of these guys are good or anything just throwing out another option.

wp

snow_man_20
03-10-2005, 04:41 AM
thanks for all the info i'm going to make some calls to the local shops and see what i'm looking at for a price.

mykwikcoupe
03-10-2005, 09:54 PM
if you dont mind the drive look at budsmachineshop in lakeood wa. heres my quote.

Deluxe degrease 60, clean polish crank 40, if you are using the same pistons we don't need to press them, hone 34, street port 250, valve grind 180, mill head 39 are you getting the parts?
bob
in regards to this reply. If I reuse the pistons and rods would those need to be polished also? Probably not just a good clean job but they must be checked for size. What the price difference between between the hone and and a cleanup bore to regain the out of roundness caused by use? Hone 34 bore 62 Is the valve grinding a 3 or 5 or how many angles are used and what the price breakdown there? we cut a 3 angle but if you add the angles already there it comes out as 5 With the head mill. is it the same price whether we just resquare it or take a few thousands out to get a little higher compression but not mess with the timing belt tension or anything like that. The mill covers .015 - extra @ $1 per thousand I would not go much past .030 off
[email protected]

racerx
03-11-2005, 10:46 PM
http://www.unitedengine.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=UE&Product_Code=LBHO030&Category_Code=LB6

5 min google search. Not saying any of these guys are good or anything just throwing out another option.

wp

Good link!
That's a great deal, too. I went with my mech though because I trust him and he gives the warranty which covers parts and labor, AND towing the car to his shop if it breaks AND transportation for me to get where I'm going AND a rental car the entire period that my car is down.
No one can top that. This guy is really awesome and stands by his work. The shop's been open for 24 years, so he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Oldblueaccord
03-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Good link!
That's a great deal, too. I went with my mech though because I trust him and he gives the warranty which covers parts and labor, AND towing the car to his shop if it breaks AND transportation for me to get where I'm going AND a rental car the entire period that my car is down.
No one can top that. This guy is really awesome and stands by his work. The shop's been open for 24 years, so he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I totally agree. I wish there was a decent Honda shop around here but there's not. I'm a little spoiled I have a premire (east coast) Chrysler only engine builder 8 miles from my house to go get stuff done. His son runs right on the SS/nhra record. It does make a differance.

wp