PDA

View Full Version : anti rust systems (rust arrestors)

bajanviper
08-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Hey, anyone ever hear about rust arrestors ....I have been trying to find one with no luck. I know they exist cause they are used in the Caribbean. My dad had one on his Nissan Bluebird (like the US altima). It seems to work by sending some kind of electrical charge through the body. If anyone has any info that'll be great.

shepherd79
08-05-2002, 03:41 AM
yeah, i heard of them.
i am not sure i saw them. i think i was in Russia when i saw one.
i didn't trust this stuff. it doesn't look like it would work.

accordlx
08-05-2002, 04:28 AM
I saw one on a Nissan I was working on. I almost took it. I guess they work by sending a small amount of voltage thru the frame somehow to depolarize the frame. It didnt mess up the electrical stuff in the car though.

bajanviper
08-05-2002, 05:30 PM
yeah, it seems to work great, the only disadvantage is that if you don't run you engine every so often it drains the battery. so know where i can get one?

netfreak
08-05-2002, 06:45 PM
I'd like to find out where to get one too. Rust is a problem on my car.

carotman
08-05-2002, 07:15 PM
Here in canada, they just spray greasy stuff everywhere where rust might appear. It works quite well too.

There are also WAX like rustproofing systems

pimp86LX
08-05-2002, 08:01 PM
yah man i get my car rust-proffed (aka greesed up) twice a year

it held off the rust for about 10yrs

cyber288
08-06-2002, 02:58 PM
These devices DON'T work. It's impossible to 'depolarize the frame' using this method. There's a couple of huge flaws behind the depolarization theory. Don't waste your money on them! If you want to prevent rust, get a regular rust-proofing treatment.

The wax type rustproffing treatments are not recommended because the wax will dry and cracks will appear. I have tried the stuff and it did not last very long. Get a regular oil rustproofing or a gel based rustproofing. The gel is slightly better than the oil and will not leak as much. The most important thing is still how the job is done. The rustproofing treatment must be applied carefully. Never go get your car treated on a crowded day because they will be in a hurry and they will likely miss a lot of spots.