PDA

View Full Version : Alternator died again

4DoorAccordDX
03-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Ok, I have an 87 DX, and I just had the alternator replaced about two years ago. Well I was driving to Subway last night and my battery light comes on. I was pissed, still am. My battery had enough juice to get me back to the parking lot of my school, but when I got there my car was revving really high like the choke was on, and when I tried to turn it off it started to diesel so I had to release the clutch and make the engine stop. How hard is it to change the alternator? I have removed the A/C so that is not in the way, but is it still a PITA? Why would it go out after only two years, that doesn't seem right. I am thinkin maybe my subs and amp have something to do with it, but I have a cap wired in, I figured that would keep this from happening. Anyway, what makes an alternator die and how hard is it to replace? Thanks in advance.

-brandon

danronian
03-08-2005, 12:25 PM
If you haven't, upgrade your battery to an optimus and upgrade your battery connections and ground cables, just the cables and connections helped my electrical system so that it only dims when I am at idle. The amp is probably killing your alternator, extra load is usually what makes them die fast. I've had a small amp on mine for two years now and I have no problems yet.

Immeraufdemhund
03-08-2005, 01:56 PM
the alt on a carb vehicle is a little more tricky than if you had it efi. but still can be done in about 30min. you'll need.

12mm 1/4" deep socket
3" 1/4" extension
14mm wrench or 3/8" socket (which ever you prefer, it's for the lower alternator pivot bolt)
10mm socket with a 6" extension.

DISCONNECT THE BATTER! the first bolt is the 12mm that is facing the belt, just loosen it dont take it out yet.
now with the 3" 12mm socket combo snake your hand in by your master cylinder and take off the nut that adjusts the belt tension. next go under your car and locate the lower 14mm nut the holds your altornator. I usually take the nut off only the pry the altornator in to get the belt off. with the belt off beat out the lower bolt. (DONT MUSHROOM THE HEAD. if you have to put back on the 14mm nut and hit your socket with a hammer.) with the bolt out take off the 12mm bolt that you loosened on the top if you havne't already. Now with the altornator dangling by its wires take off the wire plug, and the 10mm nut that holds the battery wire. (HOPEFULLY YOU DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY) if not you'll find out really quickly.

now there is a black plastirubber shield that protected your a/c (which you said is gone) and also goes around the front adjustor bar thingy that goes to your front subframe. Make that loose. I think it's either 2 or 3...maybe 4 10mm bolts. I forget how exactly to get it there but you might even have to jack up the motor a little bit to get it there. I think i remember NOT having too but my memory is flaky cause i only had a carb for like 3 months before i switched it to efi. It's a bit of a pain to get it out of that little place but with some patiance you can do it.

Install in reverse order. When you tighten your belt turn on the car for a second or 2 and readjust your belt. tighten up everything. and you should be good to go.