PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt

89HondaAccord
03-09-2005, 04:20 AM
I have a 86 Honda Accord LXi and im wondering if u can convert from a Timing Belt to a Timing Chain. Is it possible in any kind of way?...sorry i put it in the wrong section... :sad2:

Strugglebucket
03-09-2005, 04:35 AM
why would you want to? a belt is more accurate. that's why you see chevy guys doing belt conversions.

89HondaAccord
03-09-2005, 04:37 AM
i thought a chain would be more efficiant cause it will take awhile to break instead of a belt

Strugglebucket
03-09-2005, 04:49 AM
a belt will last AT LEAST 60,000 miles if it's installed properly. i've seen the oem honda belts last over 120,000 miles.

the way the engine is designed, you would need some serious modifications to use a chain instead of a belt. what i'm saying is it wouldn't be worth it.

Oldblueaccord
03-09-2005, 12:03 PM
a belt will last AT LEAST 60,000 miles if it's installed properly. i've seen the oem honda belts last over 120,000 miles.

the way the engine is designed, you would need some serious modifications to use a chain instead of a belt. what i'm saying is it wouldn't be worth it.

I 've gone a 100k no breakage. Only bad thing about belts is the usually go without warning and if they get oil on them the get weaker. Be an interesting conversion. BTW if the belt somehow slips off while your idling it wont bend the valves, Dont ask me how I know. :ugh:

wp

AccordEpicenter
03-09-2005, 01:28 PM
ive heard of guys going to 150k on a stock belt but i strongly suggest against it. Chains dont fail much but a belt absorbs more harmonics and prevents them from getting into the valvetrain, plus chains stretch. Some of the more serious GM racers have gone to belt drive in their small and big blocks, Ill stick to my belt thanks.

DBMaster
03-09-2005, 05:06 PM
The belt change interval specified for the 89's is 90K miles so 100K is not much of a stretch. The local Honda dealer said it was due to a change in the belt composition from 88 to 89. 88's and older are 60K miles, but that is just for the original belt. Replacement belts from Honda, or Gates, should be able to go 90K-110K miles.

As has been posted ad naseum in this forum we have non-interference engines. So a broken belt usually means being stranded and not incurring expensive engine damage.

89HondaAccord
03-09-2005, 08:01 PM
oh ok..so then imma keep the timing belt on there cause now i dont feel like messing with a chain cause my 1992 Chevy Beretta has a timing chain

frankie89
03-09-2005, 08:07 PM
im running my belt at 61,000 miles now and im changing it next month!!! just as a precaution!!

DBMaster
03-09-2005, 09:15 PM
If you do it yourself the cost is not so bad...about $125 bucks for a water pump, thermostat, timing belt, and the three drive belts.

Stick with the OEM Honda water pump, though. The last aftermarket pump I bought (brand new) only lasted 18,000 miles and it was MORE money than the Honda pump. The Honda parts guy told me that Honda has a patent on the bearing design.

HondaBoy
03-10-2005, 10:42 AM
hey now, anything is possible. of course theres ways to put a chain on in place of the belt. custom fab up sprockets and stuff. while your at it, might as well turn the car into a right hand drive. lol.

DBMaster
03-10-2005, 07:54 PM
hey now, anything is possible. of course theres ways to put a chain on in place of the belt. custom fab up sprockets and stuff. while your at it, might as well turn the car into a right hand drive. lol.

Why not make it rear wheel drive and mount the engine fore-and-aft while you're at it. Sounds like material for an "Overhaulin" episode.

Anyone else here want to see their car on one of those cable channel car rebuild shows?