PDA

View Full Version : Best brake pads?

Mattphi
03-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Ok so im in the market, theres a few new brands out...mine give out alot of dust and its annoying so yea. Whos happy with theirs? what kind are they

AccordEpicenter
03-09-2005, 09:32 AM
i like my aem pads, they are way better than stock

NXRacer
03-09-2005, 11:14 AM
EBC Greenstuff pads work well too. It just depends on what torture you plan on putting your pads through.

MrBen
03-09-2005, 12:16 PM
I had Honda oem and they last a long time.. the entire time I had the car, so almost 3 years. They were still good (down to 40% or so) when I sold it. Lots of dust though.

Jareds 89 LX-i
03-09-2005, 01:03 PM
I've got EBC Greenstuff pads and Brembo blanks and I'm totally satisfied with them. Got about 30,000 miles on them so far, rotors have not warped at all so still nice smooth braking, and the pads still look like new. Still dust some, but not nearly as bad as the OEM pads I had on before (which were also real good pads, just dusted alot). But I'd definitely recommend the EBC

Busted_Blue
03-09-2005, 02:29 PM
by best pad what you do mean?

Best lasting pad, I would have to say is OEM pads. They last the longest but the only effect of laster longer is alot of brake dust.

As far as aftermarket pads, I think EBC and AEM are good choices for replacements. They both last quite long and offer slightly better braking. I havent tried EBC yet but I am curious if eats rotors faster than OEM ones as some people say it does.

AEM or EBC are good choices if you want to go aftermarket if brake dust is the main issue you want to get rid of.

I on the other hand prefer the long life of the OEM pads and I don't mind cleaning my rims every week. :)

DBMaster
03-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Believe it or not I had a set of Raybestos Pro-Stop (They call them something else now) that lasted 120,000 miles AND I do mostly stop and go driving. They were something like 20 bucks at Pep Boys. This time around I decided to go with the Raybestos Quiet-Stop ceramic pads. They cost me $60, but they hardly leave any dust at all. They are quiet too, but so were the cheap ones. I guess we'll see how long they last.

accord-ing to me
03-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Believe it or not I had a set of Raybestos Pro-Stop (They call them something else now) that lasted 120,000 miles AND I do mostly stop and go driving. They were something like 20 bucks at Pep Boys. This time around I decided to go with the Raybestos Quiet-Stop ceramic pads. They cost me $60, but they hardly leave any dust at all. They are quiet too, but so were the cheap ones. I guess we'll see how long they last.

How were the Pro-stop on dust?

DBMaster
03-09-2005, 09:13 PM
The Pro-Stop were horrible about leaving black dust on my rims, but they did last long. I would say there was noticeable fade when they got hot, but what do you expect from el-cheapo pads?

miss_accord
03-10-2005, 12:07 PM
just got some Power Slot brake rotors, lookin for some super premo brake pads to go with them, any one tried the Wagner PD409 ceramic pads ?

miss_accord
03-13-2005, 07:36 PM
raceshopper.com has them for $37, they seem to, have the best performance noise, stopping, rotor wear & pad life.....

any opinions ..................

AccordEpicenter
03-13-2005, 07:43 PM
stick to metallic pads for performance... i hear axxis metal masters are an excellent choice too

carotman
03-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Yup, I got the axxis metal pads in the front and PBR deluxe in the back (pbr is the same as Axxis). I would have gone with metal in the back but I had a deal with the deluxe :D.

You can't go wrong with EBC or AEM either.

guaynabo89
03-15-2005, 05:45 PM
aem> genuine honda pads.

put out very little brake dust and handle heat a whole lot better. I have these on my 2000 Accord

ON the hatch Ive got kvr pads. Pricey but pretty good stopping power and little brake dust. These should not be used in cold climates though cause when they are cold they arent worth a $hit.

epic1400cs
03-18-2005, 06:49 AM
I use EBC green pad (for street) with Black Diamond slot+drilled disk. Compare ot OE set up, pedal touch at both low speed and middle speed are very good. Most of all there seems to be wider torelance before the brake lock the wheel. This doesn't mean it doesn't stop but it works with more controlability. The amount of the dust on the front wheel is noticably much less than OE pad - say about half to 1/3. I am very happy with this choise. EBC green pad are semimetal and I have heard that it attacks the roter more than OE pad. I think I prefer to buy new roter than having poor braking.

PortugalFocus
03-18-2005, 02:50 PM
EBC and HAWK are my faves. Satisfied make good brake pads as well.

carotman
03-18-2005, 04:19 PM
The Hawp HP+ are Really good pads. That's the next pads I will get.

Hash_man_Se_i
03-19-2005, 01:08 AM
I have the PBR/axxis pads on my car right now with oem style rotors, and they are ok... They do put out a fair share of brake dust though as i drive pretty hard sometimes, and they are a bit squeeky i find.

I have been thinking of getting hawk's soon... anyone have any experience with these on their 3gee?

bobafett
06-07-2005, 05:24 PM
a little OT, but im in the market for some brake hardware, so i will bring this thread back

is the PAD for an 86-89, DX, LX, and LX-i going to be the same?

I am assuming rotors are different, but what about the pads? because i figure the calipers on 88-89 LX-is cant be much different than the 86-87 LX-i

since rotors are a littler larger on 88-89 lxi, who sells 86-87 lxi rotors?

AccordEpicenter
06-07-2005, 06:38 PM
no, the pads and rotor are different from akebono to nissin. 86-89 lx/dx and 86-87 lxi used akebono which are smaller, the nissin is 88-89 lxi/sei

bobafett
06-07-2005, 07:52 PM
lol... so i gotta find pads that actually work for 86-87 then...

which places do you guys order your brakes from? www.horsepowerfreaks.com has a good selection, but it is all 88-89 lxi stuff :(

86AccordLxi
06-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Autozone! :D I picked up some Carbon Metallic pads from there for like $40 and called it a day. You actually have to drive your car hard, Chris, to actually need decent pads :P

Alex

bobafett
06-07-2005, 08:08 PM
alex i need a motor i can abuse and brakes that dont feel like "just maybe they wont stop me this time" before i can drive it harder...lol

i am not gonna waste my time with OEM shit if im gonna spend money to replace them. :)
ps my brakes have always been weak in that car

AccordEpicenter
06-07-2005, 08:26 PM
i got my shyt off eGay

miss_accord
10-07-2005, 05:47 PM
The Hawp HP+ are Really good pads. That's the next pads I will get.

I had a set of Hawk brake pads, the shims failed, resulted in scoring the hub of my Brembo rotors. I would never use glued on shims on my brake pads. Instead, I chose Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramics with the built in shims. Boy, r they quiet.