PDA

View Full Version : a20a1 hook up

Smyth
03-09-2005, 04:45 PM
I got a 1988 accord LX with the carb ya know and was lookin at crx's for a bit but decided to try and hook up the accord and wanted to know what the veterans in the tuning game thought about it. Note I been planning this for only a few days so i havent found a whole lot of part sources.

I was thinking....
-holley performance carb i found at autozone
-Headrs and Exaust
-Am wanting a custom air filter that stands alone like the old dragsters with a hood scoop right at it for ram air. But if not a K&N
-Havent found any kind of performance cam for it. Any hints?
-Alot of weight reduction/things like spark plugs and such for timing.
-Clutch
-A short shifter that i havent found yet, I dont know if one will work from similar yeared hondas.
-suspension and such.

I am trying to keep original style with the carburetor but I know a20's arent the most tunable. So the question is what do you think does all this sound good, will it show results, and any hints to part stores or tuning methods i have overlooked.

2drSE-i
03-09-2005, 07:52 PM
best thing you can do is convert it to EFI, seriously. as far as cams, ur gonna have to get a regrind. there are alot of threads on them, colt cams for example. search in the faq's for cams, ull find it easy. shortshifter i believe will come off a 90ish civic (i wudnt know, ive got an auto) as for suspension, you dont have alot of options. springs you have alot of options for, but really the only struts u can get are gonna cost big bucks. Header is gonna have to either come from justin or pacesetter, which from what i have heard sucks. Exhaust....your best bet is to get it custom made at a muffler shop. welcome to the board and good luck, these are great cars if you take care of them :)

A20A1
03-10-2005, 01:29 AM
There are not many parts for the Carbed accord...

COnverting to EFI takes a lot of time and effort and money if you don't have a cheap place to pull the parts from.

You'll have to modify the manifold to accept the Holley carb if you are going that route... but it's no gaurantee it'll work as good as you hope... I'm going with a 4bbl but my manifold has beed modefied a lot.

Get the header and install it on the same day when they make your custom 2.25" exhaust... this will allow them to adapt it to the header and make for an easier install.
You can choose between pacesetter header / S&S header / or a Custom header made by a 3geez member... seacrch the faq section for all your questions on headers for the accord.

Don't worry about ignition untill you do more upgrades...

Smyth
03-10-2005, 09:56 AM
I appreciate your help.

2drSE-i
03-10-2005, 11:00 AM
easiest way to go to efi is probly junkyard, or parts car....or buy from a member in the marketplace