PDA

View Full Version : Motor mounts?

FyreDaug
03-09-2005, 05:22 PM
On my 5spd when I shift gears (mainly the lower gears) the car gets a slamming feeling, but if I shift really nice it doesnt happen. If it is the mount which one would it more likely be? The arm that goes to the firewall?

Immeraufdemhund
03-10-2005, 09:22 AM
the one on top controls the forward and back movement of the engine and trannie.

what do you mean that it gets a slamming feeling? cause that could mean other things too. and by shifting really nice do you mean riding the clutch until it engages fully?

FyreDaug
03-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Well I drive my cars a little agressive, when I accelerate and shift I'm off the gas through the shifts so the clutch and gas go at the same time, and it shifts the engine because the torque at X rpm is not being given to the wheels anymore.

And by drive easier kinda yeah, except its more throttle controlled, I'll slowly let off the gas until its engine braking then let the clutch out, it doesnt slam like that at all.

Immeraufdemhund
03-10-2005, 04:27 PM
i think i had this problem a while ago. On a highway or a long strip of road, make sure you are on a flat area. When you get going about 60 and push in the clutch WITHOUT letting the gas move at all. Your car should accelerate a small amount, if at all. Usually when i'm at 3k and push in the clutch i jump up to about 3.2k. If you jump up to 4 or 5k or higher than you have a issue with your ignition.

there are otherways to check that particular thing out, but this way let's you know a few things. One if your car is getting enough gas, 2 if it's getting bad spark.

as for the mounts i'd say run to a parts store that you are WELL known in and open up a haynes manuel. (or you can download pauls manuel) and look up the part on mounts. That should tell you everything else you might want to know.

Dutchboy
03-10-2005, 06:33 PM
i think that the mount under the tranny on the cross memeber is what actually is suppposed to do alot for movement in the tranny.. I recently had a problem with my mounts
it ended up being that since i replaced the clutch and the timing belt i had to loosen the mounts at differnt points in time .and i didnt do the tightening right.

there is actually a sequence for tightening the mounts up.... i just did this retightening sequence yesterday and it seems to have solved my earlier problems.. you might want to try it first....now my crooked engine is sittinig level again and the clunking like you experience is less noticable

danronian
03-11-2005, 06:50 AM
The top mount does pretty much nothing to alleviate the clunking when shifting. Mine did the same thing so I replaced the dog-bone mounts and it didn't help at all. When the tranny mount was replaced there was a world of difference. I would just recommend replacing the tranny and then the front mount and then follow the tightening sequence in the Honda Manual and you should be good.

FyreDaug
03-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Theres nothing wrong with the tranny itself though.

AZmike
03-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Theres nothing wrong with the tranny itself though.

He meant the motor mount that bolts onto the bellhousing, not the transmission itself.

FyreDaug
03-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Ooh, yeah I'll look into it, anyone have any solid ones? Or some "higher performance" mounts around here? Are these engines not the best for balancing? Meaning if I just make the mount solid, will it shake everything too much? I know on sunfires you can do one of the mounts pretty much solid and its alright for shaking. I'm not too worried about vibrations, just trying to get as much power/economy out of the car as I can.