PDA

View Full Version : EGR tube metal

Strugglebucket
03-09-2005, 10:55 PM
anybody know what kind of metal the egr tube is made out of and if it's cast or not? need to know if i can weld on it.

Oldblueaccord
03-09-2005, 11:38 PM
anybody know what kind of metal the egr tube is made out of and if it's cast or not? need to know if i can weld on it.

I think its just cheap steel. Mines in a 5 gal. pal in my garage. I forgot to put it on after a thremostat replacement disaster so i just stuck big bolts in both ends. Its pretty thin but you could MIG it I think.

wp

Strugglebucket
03-09-2005, 11:54 PM
yeah, i was thinking gas weld. i figured it was probably steel but it's got that wierd bronze color that some honda parts have. dunno, guess i'll find out.

Oldblueaccord
03-10-2005, 01:44 AM
yeah, i was thinking gas weld. i figured it was probably steel but it's got that wierd bronze color that some honda parts have. dunno, guess i'll find out.

If you want i can try mine tomorrow at work it be about tomorrow evening before I could tell you.

wp

A20A1
03-10-2005, 01:50 AM
I think it may be stainless cause stainless turns gold in color when it's heated. I know you can weld to it... I've welded the pipe shut with my flux wire - mig when I removed the egr from the carb manifold..

Oldblueaccord
03-10-2005, 01:54 AM
I think it may be stainless cause stainless turns gold in color when it's heated. I know you can weld to it... I've welded the pipe shut with my flux wire - mig when I removed the egr from the carb manifold..

most stainless is non-magnetic be a good test.

wp

Oldblueaccord
03-10-2005, 01:29 PM
most stainless is non-magnetic be a good test.

wp

no luck I musta thrown it out.

wp

Blkblurr
03-10-2005, 02:17 PM
It's plated steel. You should be able to weld it.

Strugglebucket
03-17-2005, 09:59 PM
i'm pretty sure it's stainless because it's not magnetic and it takes forever to cut:)

AccordEpicenter
03-17-2005, 10:16 PM
i think its stainless... ive never seen one rust

NXRacer
03-18-2005, 08:47 AM
i'm pretty sure it's stainless because it's not magnetic and it takes forever to cut:)
took me 2 seconds to cut with a sawzall. went thru like a hot knife thru butter.

i think it has to be some type of metal that won't rust with heat torture. prolly like its been said before, stainless or some type of treated steel.