PDA

View Full Version : power window problems

Immeraufdemhund
03-10-2005, 12:47 PM
i took out my motor and my window today to determain what my problem is why the window wouildn't go up. The first problem was the switch itself, so i took it apart and cleaned up the contacts and tried it out. It worked with the motor out of the door and with no window. So i figure great, should work in the car. I put it all in the car and get the window attached and try to roll it up just enough to tighten the two bolts and it went up too far and stopped. I tried to get it to go down but nothing. I could hear a clicking sound when i swiched directions( i would assume the sparks from the built up electricity in the motor). Then i tried running 12v directly to the motor like pauls manuel says. Tried both ways and nothing. It would jump but not move either way. .... any ideas?

this is on my 90 accord, but the wires are the same color and other things are the same too...

Blkblurr
03-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Sounds like the brushes on your motor are worn. They supply power to the motor through the commutator ring. This will cause it to work in one direction for a while and then not at all. Try a motor from the junk yard or the one from the other door to see if it works up and down. Hope this helps

Immeraufdemhund
03-10-2005, 03:05 PM
does it mean anything if the other 3 motors dont even make any sounds?

Blkblurr
03-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Does that mean they don't work or what?

Immeraufdemhund
03-11-2005, 06:58 AM
correct. i think they worked before i took the engine out. The only thing that has changed since then is that the switch has been played with (which could be the first problem) and the engine is still not back in. But if you hook up the dizzy and the alt. everything appears to come online. funny how that is the only things you need to get the car to turn on. hehehe i could hook up all my accessoreis and not even worry about the engine being in.

Blkblurr
03-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Maybe it's one of the ground wires that is reconnected when you put the dizzy back on or something like that. If the motor works in both directions when connected to a power source, then it's most likely not the motor causing the problem. Have you tried measuring the voltage at the motor leads when the motor is installed and the window switch is pressed?

Immeraufdemhund
03-11-2005, 01:48 PM
nope, but it does the same thing when i run a power source directly to the motor

Blkblurr
03-12-2005, 05:31 AM
Does the window move up and down without getting stuck? You may have to remove the motor to try this.