PDA

View Full Version : 2 quarts enough MTF ?

md21722
03-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and still getting used to searches so please forgive me if I am asking a redudant question (I did search first). I do all the repairs on my cars myself nowadays, change engines, tranny, etc. Working on Honda's is new to me, I used to work a lot on Mercedes diesels.

Tonight I changed my passenger side driveshaft. As part of the job I drained the MTF and planned to refill. The manual says 2.4 quarts, but I was only able to get 2 quarts in ? Is that right? Car was on jackstands when I drained an added fluid.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,
Brian
'88 Accord LX 5spd 224Kmi

SteveDX89
03-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Having it up on jack stands will make a difference. Take the stand out from the driver side of the car so only the front passenger side is up in the air. You should be able to add the rest of the fluid.

md21722
03-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the quickly reply. I just checked the car again (4 wheels on the ground). I was able to reach the fill plug topside, so I added fluid and the tranny took an additional 12 ounces before fluid started oozing out, for 2.4 total just like the manual says. :)

What are chances I did any damage running 0.4 quarts low for 20 miles on the freeway? I don't think it will matter?

Brian

Oldblueaccord
03-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the quickly reply. I just checked the car again (4 wheels on the ground). I was able to reach the fill plug topside, so I added fluid and the tranny took an additional 12 ounces before fluid started oozing out, for 2.4 total just like the manual says. :)

What are chances I did any damage running 0.4 quarts low for 20 miles on the freeway? I don't think it will matter?

Brian

Should have been fine. 5th will wine some if the fluid is low.
Pretty sure it calls for motor oil btw I hope that what you used.

wp

SteveDX89
03-11-2005, 03:43 AM
Should have been fine. 5th will wine some if the fluid is low.
Pretty sure it calls for motor oil btw I hope that what you used.

wp

Honda makes manual transmission fluid. It's expensive but I'd use it over motor oil. I have motor oil in mine now but when I change it, I'm using MTF.

md21722
03-11-2005, 05:04 AM
I purchased genuine Honda MTF for $3.85/qt. It is supposed to be more resistant to oxidiation and have better cold flow properties than motor oil.

I was tempted to use synthetic motor oil but I have not researched the issue.

-brian

Oldblueaccord
03-11-2005, 09:31 AM
I purchased genuine Honda MTF for $3.85/qt. It is supposed to be more resistant to oxidiation and have better cold flow properties than motor oil.

I was tempted to use synthetic motor oil but I have not researched the issue.

-brian

I use 10/30 mobil one myself I dont know if its any better or worse than the Honda stuff. I have 255k miles on it. I have run it low before I dont think you hurt anything.

wp

HondaBoy
03-11-2005, 10:02 AM
i believe the Honda MTF is actually a synthetic oil, as is the ATF Honda makes. for the ATF, is that why people say dont use anything buy honda ATF? i could probley go with some other synthetic ATF like some people have. anyway, where did the stuff start oozing out of as you said. i thought you werent supposed to over fill the tranny?

md21722
03-11-2005, 10:52 AM
i believe the Honda MTF is actually a synthetic oil, as is the ATF Honda makes. for the ATF, is that why people say dont use anything buy honda ATF? i could probley go with some other synthetic ATF like some people have. anyway, where did the stuff start oozing out of as you said. i thought you werent supposed to over fill the tranny?

From what I can tell the Honda MTF is a synthetic blend. People say to use Honda ATF because automatic transmissions makers use materials inside that react differently to different fluids. This is also why GM, Chrysler, and Ford all have their own ATF (i.e. Dexron III, ATF+4, Mercon V). Fluid "oozed out" (ran out probably would have been better word choice) of the filler hole. That's completely normal and means "I'm full". :)

buds302
03-13-2005, 01:55 AM
hey i just changed both my axles and i never took out the drain plug and when i took the axle out the fluid ran out. i knew i would have to put new fluid in it bfore i started. but anyway i couldnt get the damn fill plug out to put fluid in so i jacked up the passenger side almost till the car tipped over and filled it up that way. but it only took about 3/4 quart i cant tell if i got it filled or not. oh well i need a new transmission anyway so the hell with it! oh and anyone knows where to find one that would be nice. im tryin to stay away from the j-yard on this one. i want one from a running car or a wrecked car. you never know what ur gonna get from the j-yard. my brother went through 4 auto trans bfore he finally went with a five speed and then about a month later he put a golf ball size hole in it. it was also from the j-yard.

SteveDX89
03-13-2005, 06:24 AM
Unbolt the speed sensor and fill the tranny up through there.

buds302
03-13-2005, 02:26 PM
how far do i go? until its full or what?

SteveDX89
03-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Until you've put in 2.4 qts.

marksaladbar
11-14-2006, 07:59 AM
i cant find my fill plug

SteveDX89
11-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Should be a 17 mm bolt just above the drain bolt.

marksaladbar
11-14-2006, 02:57 PM
ok i have and 89 accord lx 5sd trans...i have located the drain plug..but cant seem to find the fill plug..the book i have shows a guy filling it from the top with a long neck funel..but i dont see anywhere the fluid would go..on most manual trans like the rx7 i have ..it has a drain and a fill plug right next to each other...so if someone has a pic of the fill plug..it would help me out alot ....thanks...and where do i put clutch fluid?

shepherd79
11-14-2006, 04:03 PM
out clutches are not hydrolic. it is cable driven. you don't need clutch fluid.
the fill plug is right above the drain plug.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k263/shepherd79/oilplugs.jpg

marksaladbar
11-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Thank you..u rock