PDA

View Full Version : Help please ...Plastic shield under front of car

vmoul
03-10-2005, 07:29 PM
There is a plastic sheild under the front end of the car (BTW 89 accord 5 spd)
A couple of days ago the car got hung up in the snow. Today I notice a dragging noise. When I got Home i checked under the car to see what was dragging and its part of the plastic sheild evidently from getting hung up in the snow the plastic sheild got shoved up against the pully's & belts that are on the driver side bottom of the engine (don't know which belts these are) the pulley/belts from moving burnt through the plastic housing making it partially come off hence the dragging on the ground. My question is How important is it for that sheid to be covering those belts? Can I drive it that way for a couple 2 or 3 weeks before getting the sheild replaced or can i just leave it like that? I imagine there is a reason for the bottom of the front end to have all that plastic covering the underside. Will I hurt the car by driving it this way till I can get it fixed?

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Vicki

Ace
03-10-2005, 07:33 PM
You should be find I've owned 2 and they both did the same thing you can just rip it off I would look into buying a new one though because every damn rain or snow storm my belts sqeek like a mother but you should be fine

Ace
03-10-2005, 07:39 PM
I was wondering what this part is call and if you can buy it brand new

vmoul
03-10-2005, 07:48 PM
I was wondering what this part is call and if you can buy it brand new
You can buy anything new for a price. and a Honda dealer could get it. I too was wondering how much this part would cost. I don't think it would be too great for the belts to be getting wet and slipping. I don't know if it is the timing belt that is exposed. the timing belt is on the drivers side of the car.

A20A1
03-10-2005, 07:48 PM
It's a underbody cover / sheild

It wont hurt... you still have a primary sheild gaurding the critical timing belt.
I actually like it off... it makes it easier to work on the car.

HostileJava
03-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Cheapest bet is probably just to pull one from the junkyard, I've been driving mine a long time though without that.

Ace
03-10-2005, 07:50 PM
So my best bets just to pull it off

vmoul
03-10-2005, 07:51 PM
I will drive it this way for a while at least till I find out how much to replace it and have the $$ to do it.

vmoul
03-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks for all the reply's guys.
My husband and son cut off the part that was dragging on the ground. That under body sheild is quite large it covers almost the whole front end. I will try to get it replaced depending on the cost. I hate putting money into this car...(I just spent 1200. on getting the carbs fixed and having the fuel system cleaned out the gas looked like muddy water.) it's my beater for bad weather even though it sucks in the snow.

BITESIZE
03-10-2005, 08:07 PM
I've been driving for years without mine.

AccordEpicenter
03-10-2005, 08:07 PM
its no big deal... what part of NY are you from?

vmoul
03-10-2005, 08:15 PM
its no big deal... what part of NY are you from?
I am by New Paltz just west of Poughkeepsie

mykwikcoupe
03-10-2005, 09:56 PM
took mine of both accords. Im with a20a1. Its easier to work on without and its a pain to put on and off

ICEMAN707
03-11-2005, 12:21 AM
i've driven mine without it for years....and no splashguards under the fender either. cleans up the undercarriage alot and helps the engine stay cool allowing more air to flow through. but then again, i live in FL where there is no worries of snow and salt on the roads. you northern guys might want to keep yours intact for the winters.

Strugglebucket
03-11-2005, 12:38 AM
only problem running without it is if you go through a big puddle the belts will get really wet and the power steering will cut in and out. which can be kind of scary, or cool, depending on your personality.

SteveDX89
03-11-2005, 03:47 AM
Mine has been off for a year with no problems. I've never had any belts squeak during the rain. Of course, I only have a timing belt and alternator belt.

danronian
03-11-2005, 06:23 AM
I think someone cut part of my shield off b/c whenever I hit the slightest puddle with my accord the belts squeek like crazy, i lose power steering, and my lights dim. My shield is only being held on my like three out of the 8 or 9 bolts that originally hed it on since the stupid salt on the roads around here seized just about every one of the bolts. Next time I go to take it off I'd bet that the rest will sieze too and then I'll have no more shield.

NXRacer
03-11-2005, 09:07 AM
i had mine on until i put my header in. Then i jerked it outa there. Once in a while if i go thru a big puddle my belts will squeal for a second or 2, but its no big deal.

Justin86
03-11-2005, 10:00 AM
why not just build a custom aluminum one that goes under the entire engine, and maybe creates a little extra down force also. ;)

mykwikcoupe
03-11-2005, 09:28 PM
hey darionan, try adjusting the tension on the belt. Its probably got more to do with loose belts or worn belts than a little moisture on the pulley.