PDA

View Full Version : Fried the alternator

powderkey2
03-11-2005, 10:30 AM
I just purchased an 89 LX Accord for my 16 y/o...and like a good 16 y/o he got a sound system for Christmas (even before he had a car). The day I brought the car home we installed his system...Kenwood 50x4 watt unit w/ polk momo speakers. Well...after a day of him sitting in the driveway listening to his tunes...on comes the battery light...yep...killed the alt. My question...shouldn't a 65 amp alternator carry that headunit? Or...it could be the alt was going when we got the car. I have a parts car I scavenged the alt from (yes...took it out through the firewall side and up the passenger side...it's carbed)...I'm almost afraid to hook his headunit back up for fear of blowing the alt. again...already removed 2 and installed one. Besides the Mean Green high output alt...is there another high output alt people recommend...the Mean Green looks like it would do the job...but not for the $369 price tag. Would beefing up the the grounds and battery cables work for this problem?

HondaBoy
03-11-2005, 10:43 AM
really, an original stock alternator should carry a head unit along with subs and an amplifier. a stock replacement would be just fine, but if you have the option to get a higher output alt, i'd say get it. my alternator is original in my '87 accord. i have a 180 watt head unit, a nice sub and 500 watt amp pushing it. my battery never runs out of power. so a stock type alt should be good. oh, also, something that happened to me was when i put the 500 watt amp in, it killed the battery. i had to get a new one after that. but it was a fairly old battery, over 5 years old.