PDA

View Full Version : HELP! rewire brake lights?

bboipinoy112
03-12-2005, 02:29 AM
how do i do this? because theres a short somewhere and i dont know where. i was just thinkin rewire the brake-switch and new wire from switch to brake lights .. can i do that? or is there a different way or an alternative? ? ? help because i havnt had my car running since OCTOBER 04 ! ! ! ! thats too long. help .. please? ?? :sadwave:

Blkblurr
03-12-2005, 05:39 AM
Why do you think there is a short? Are you blowing fuses? Does the fuse blow only when you push the brake pedal? What have you done to troubleshoot this?

bboipinoy112
03-12-2005, 03:40 PM
well i realy dont know why its not lighting up im just shooting in the dark. but my parking lights light up. but not my brake lights. taillights = brakelight fuse to right? well if im correct. the fuses are good. . . but if there was a short. wouldnt the taillight fuse blow? and i also check the bulbs. and are good too . so yea . .. short terms. fuses are good. bulbs are good. i hope this helps answering my question and makes it more clearer. thanks alot guys. junior=electrical noob.

HondaBoy
03-12-2005, 03:45 PM
hmm, you say the parking lights come one, so the dimmer of the 2 brightnesses of the brake light. right? if both sides dont light up when your brakes are applied, including the 3rd brake light in the rear window, that could possibley just the the switch that's released when your brake pedal is pushed in. there's a little button/switch that's pushed by the brake pedal. that could possibley not be releasing. check that.

P.S., dont go tearing into the wiring unless you know there's nothing else thats wrong. you could have more of a problem after rewiring than you have now.

bboipinoy112
03-12-2005, 03:56 PM
ok. when i turn on the parking lights. the taillights are working. but 2 brakelights and the hatchlight dont come on when pedal is pressed. but the parkinglights are still on. i checked the switch. i can press and depress the thing. operates smooth. but i guess it doesnt function. imma take out the swtich i guess and rig it as a test light. i guess thats a way to check the switch if its functioning. soo KEEP the suggestions COMMING. . . thanks for the inputs. .

HondaBoy
03-12-2005, 03:59 PM
i think that's about the only thing that it could be, that switch. like i said, see if its stuck or something. i dont know if that switch can be taken apart and cleaned out. sometimes switches get oxidation and can be cleaned up inside them. i fixed my window switches by cleaning that metal parts inside. anyway, if thats the cause, i'd say go get one at the junk yard to replace the broken one.

Mac
03-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Does your horn work? If not check fuse #4 in the under the hood fuse/relay panel.

bboipinoy112
03-13-2005, 01:20 AM
my horn? does that tie in with why my brake lights not working ? ? ? thats weird. the fuse is fine. . but curiousity. those tie together?

YK86
03-13-2005, 04:09 AM
Take the bulbs out and make sure there is no corrosion on the tabs in the socket. Also check if the bumps on the bulbs (where the current goes through, should be two on the tailight bulbs) aren't worn down or kind of melted and that both filaments are good. But then again, if it was your bulbs, I guess you'd get the warning lamp come on.

As mentioned above. it could also be the switch above the brake pedal (cylindrical shape with a black button sticking out). I've seen that go bad before. It'll probably come on intermittently if you jiggle the button on the switch with the pedal depressed. If that's the problem, I would grab one from the junkyard as they are cheap.

Mac
03-13-2005, 07:39 AM
my horn? does that tie in with why my brake lights not working ? ? ? thats weird. the fuse is fine. . but curiousity. those tie together?

That fuse under the hood supplies power to both the horn and brake lights switch. That's why I asked if your horn worked. If the horn didn't work either, then that fuse would of been a good place to start. So if the horn works check the switch by the brake pedal. The white/yellow wire should have battery voltage at all times.

Blkblurr
03-13-2005, 07:24 PM
I haven't checked my electrical diagram but I suspect the brale light switch operates a relay that turns the brake likghts on and off. If so the relay could be bad. Anyone look at the circuit on this?