PDA

View Full Version : Leaking rear taillight

Oldblueaccord
03-13-2005, 11:02 AM
So whats the fix for this. I cant be the only one with this problem either.

I know about just drilling a weep hole in them but I was thinking about taking them out and permatex gasket them better. I 'm sure the factory seals are shot as well. Its sunny and i got the hatch open now to air em out and I leava the plug under the spare out as well.

wp

87AccordsterLx
03-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Re-seal or buy a new one... I would pick up this one... get the other side also... they seem to be aftermarket and much darker for $25 + $10 to ship its a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42611&item=4534892391&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Oldblueaccord
03-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Re-seal or buy a new one... I would pick up this one... get the other side also... they seem to be aftermarket and much darker for $25 + $10 to ship its a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42611&item=4534892391&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

thanks dude i dont ebay meaning i dont buy used stuff site unseen just my preferance. The taillight looks ok really just full of water after a long rain. I'll try some new seals when I get a chance.

wp

YK86
03-13-2005, 01:11 PM
If you want to be cheap, you can use silicone. Applying a moderate layer right where the gasket contacts to the tailight helps quite a bit.

BMS
03-13-2005, 03:17 PM
I had this problem and when I took the assembly off to seal them again, I found that quite a few of the studs holding them on were broke altogether. So I sealed it and tightened as best as I could, but with the missing fasteners there wasn't really much I could do.

Oldblueaccord
03-18-2005, 11:21 PM
I'll "whoppy" it up in the machinist trade with the blue silicone and see how it goes.

wp

danronian
03-19-2005, 07:16 AM
I sealed with gasket maker sealer each bolt holding it on, both sides of the factory seal and I sealed shut all of the vents in the top of the light and then I drilled a few holes in the bottom. I had about 4 inches of water in each light after I got new ones from the j/y and it was so bad that my brake lights actually exploded, that's when I decided to make that taillight water tight forever.

T-Funk
03-19-2005, 05:05 PM
silicone

Dr._8t9LX
03-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Just keep adding more red light fluid.....LOL

sorry, it is an old prank you play on the firefighter newbees every Fire season.

doug
03-20-2005, 03:55 AM
i found that it was actually the gasket between the unit and the body, if it leaks then the water gets to the unit, and inside the car for that matter, and the unit is not sealed anyway, so that it can rid itself of any condensation, and the water was going in through the designed vents. (At least I think, it's all from memory)