PDA

View Full Version : My carputer

FyreDaug
03-14-2005, 12:30 PM
This was originally from my sunfire, but its broken. Its a 2004 and has had over $15000 worth of warranty work and GM has red flagged the car, under the assumption I am abusing it. But nonetheless the system was removed and I put it in the accord.

The computer consists of this
First, an 800W digital inverter (modified sine wave)
ASRock K7S41GX Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (overclocked to run at 187x13 @ 1.82V)
2x256 pc3200 Mushkin DDR
Si-97 Heatsink with a 120mm blue LED fan
200GB Maxtor HDD (almost full 4gigs free)
Audigy 2 platinum using the optical line out
GF4 mx440 (soon to be replaced with a 9600xt once the rma finishes)
And a BenQ 15" LCD Screen (already mounted in dash), unfortunately its not touch screen, but the way its set up I like it this way
I use a trackball mouse and a wireless keyboard
Also have the new logitech wireless gamepad for games
What powers the speakers? I 90x6w home theater amp Yamaha RXV 450

Another unfortunate thing is that the sunfire had a premium sound system so the stock speakers were good enough to not have to worry about replacing them right away, but they are 4x6 and 6x9's, cant use in the accord.
So I'm stuck with the stock speakers up front (the right one is blown now) and the sunfires 6x9's ghetto mounted in the back because the stock 6.5's were destroyed in the back.

I run windows XP pro sp2, winamp and divx player. Ive got a ton of snes emulation in there and Half life 2 and sim city 4 are going in soon enough. I've got over 14000 songs in there, about 40% of which are ripped entirely by me in a lossless flac format for the most quality I can get (too bad the speakers cant keep up yet)

I've got an older RF Punch HE 200W sub/amp combo I put together and it sounds really good, this is back when RF made some decent stuff.

I do have a question though, what would you guys recommend for speakers? I will need 4 6.5" speakers and I'm quite the audiophile, so I was looking at MB Quart PCE216's for the front and I'm still not sure for the rear. It sounds alright in the accord but it was 10x better in the sunfire. I love the customization and control I have over this system and in the end it only costed me about 800 bucks canadian doing everything myself (twice technically) and it beats any dvd deck for price, functionality and I can play games on it.
Anyone else have a carputer?

NXRacer
03-14-2005, 12:32 PM
sounds like a sweet setup. any pictures??

HostileJava
03-14-2005, 12:36 PM
It's funny this should popup now, I wasn't going to say anything till I was further along but, I just aquired a SFF computer from work and I'm in the process of stripping out all the uneeded programs and services from XP to get it booting and running as fast as possible. I have picked a front end already and done some configuring to it and now I just need to decided how I'm going to power it, control on/off, and what touchscreen I'm going to use. I'd love to see pictures of your install.

zero.counter
03-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Mini-itx all the way! MB Quart for speakers...no turning back!

HostileJava
03-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Mini-itx all the way! MB Quart for speakers...no turning back!

I have them in the back in 6x9 pods. I love the mid bass that I get from them.

FyreDaug
03-15-2005, 10:52 AM
I dont have any pics of it in the accord but I do in the sunfire, if anyone wants give me your email I guess you cant upload to these forums and Im too busy to sign up for cardomain and shrink all the pics. Remember its in the sunfire and it wasnt all mounted right before it broke

Sabz5150
03-17-2005, 06:16 PM
I'd suggest dumping the home amp and going with a six channel soundcard and powering it via car amps. A four channel front/rear, a big mono for the subs and an amp comperable to the front/rear one for the center.

Also be careful of that drive. PC hard drives don't like harsh bumps. You can boot your base OS off of a compactflash or microdrive and use laptop hard drives for storage since they aren't as prone to shock slamming the heads on the platters.

Also I'd Linux-ify the PC myself, but XP should handle it okay.

FyreDaug
03-18-2005, 02:07 PM
I've had it running for almost a year now, no worried.

FyreDaug
03-19-2005, 12:49 PM
I just bought another 200gig harddrive so I can put the rest of my music on the carputer and install games and stuff too. Hardly any space left and I dont even have my full collection on there yet. Also bought a new keyboard because my other wireless one sucks in the cold. Lets hope this ones better.

3G Jester
05-20-2006, 11:03 PM
did this ever get up and running?

FyreDaug
05-23-2006, 01:54 AM
Yeah man, it was running for like 2 years. Its been in 3 cars already... I just run a basic HU now though... nothing too fancy anymore... ps I got jumped tonight... it sucked.

MessyHonda
05-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Yeah man, it was running for like 2 years. Its been in 3 cars already... I just run a basic HU now though... nothing too fancy anymore... ps I got jumped tonight... it sucked.

how did you get jumped?...sorry to birng it up

sinisterfuzzy
05-23-2006, 04:19 PM
damn, loseless? that's freakin awesome... you gotta be running like 30megs a song!?

Sabz5150
05-23-2006, 05:04 PM
damn, loseless? that's freakin awesome... you gotta be running like 30megs a song!?

Welcome to FLAC. The files are kept at a decent size and the codec is lossless. I'm imagining that you'd need a tiny bit of processor power to handle them. Nothing a modern system couldn't handle.