PDA

View Full Version : help with my 87 accord

alexkol
03-15-2005, 12:23 PM
My 87 Accord DX hatch has been running very odd lately. Ill be sitting in my driveway waiting for the car to warm up and ill press the gas in and the car starts shaking and a strange noise comes from the exaust. It does this when I shift gears too. It feels like its hesatating when i push in the gas and the car seems underpowered. I can also visibly see the exaust shake when i push in the gas. Any idea as too what could be the problem?

Blkblurr
03-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Is it a carb or injected. Do you see smoke coming from the exhaust? Have you had anything done recently? A little more information would help.

alexkol
03-15-2005, 01:56 PM
its carbed. I just had the carb rebuilt 2 months ago and it was running awesome.
there's no smoke coming out of the back. the exaust shakes all the way to the headers and the engine shakes a little bit. when im driving it the gas pedal is very unresponsive. It runs alot better at higher revs.

Blkblurr
03-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check for broken or cracked vacuum hoses.

POS carb
03-16-2005, 04:06 PM
it's not getting enough fuel. run some carb cleaner through all the passages; make sure your fuel pump is flowing good and builds pressure

charlie89LXi
03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Your 87 could have a clogged catalyst converter.

3G Jester
03-16-2005, 07:07 PM
My 87 Accord DX hatch has been running very odd lately. Ill be sitting in my driveway waiting for the car to warm up and ill press the gas in and the car starts shaking and a strange noise comes from the exaust. It does this when I shift gears too. It feels like its hesatating when i push in the gas and the car seems underpowered. I can also visibly see the exaust shake when i push in the gas. Any idea as too what could be the problem?

DX means carbed.

STEP 1:
BUY HAYNES or CHILTON MANUAL.
it will help with everything else you do to yo9ur car.

pull off your air box. a couple screws. its really not that hard. look at all the black rubber hoses. check for cracks, leaks, rips tears or 'floating' hoses [hoses that completely broke]. ghetto repair with duct tape or black electrical tape---fully replace at some point in time.
buy a can of carb cleaner...follow directions, spray some in there. let it run.

call me in the morning.

Blkblurr
03-16-2005, 07:14 PM
If it was not getting enough fuel it would not run better at higher speeds. Same for a clogged cat. If you have a vacuum leak it's not as noticable at higher speeds because you create more vacuum then.

3G Jester
03-16-2005, 07:30 PM
yeah. but [ no offence alexkol] he doesnt sound too knowledgable [yet!] about whats going on...easier to have him check off the easier stuff first.

A20A1
03-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Well as throttle increases manifold vacuum drops but venturi vacuum goes up... two different things... but I agree it sounds like a manifold vacuum leak.

POS carb
03-17-2005, 03:12 PM
true

alexkol
03-21-2005, 02:50 PM
thanks 3g jester i dont know very much cars as this is my first car. i just got back from a hockey tournament and im going outside right now to check for cracked hoses.

thanks guys

A20A1
03-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Take a look through this thread... http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=8972

it should help.

3G Jester
04-25-2005, 04:14 PM
how did it turn out?

DeViOuS
04-30-2005, 01:03 AM
DONT BUY CHILTONS THEY DONT FUKKIN HELP! I did a motor swap, and I had a lot of problems, cause I for 1 had an idiot workin on my car, and 2 Trusted that the Chiltons guide would help me fix my car and put stuff in the right place. NOPE. That chiltons guide sux. Now I still have an issue and I have tried searching, but I aint found anything in here on it. I did the motor swap, everythings hooked up properly, but now shes not turning over. Someone had said sumpthin about it maybe being the starter, but I just bought a new one about 3 weeks ago. Could this still be the issue..? Also, could it be the spark plugs..? The guy that helped me work on it, the one that actually knew what he was doin, told me that half of the fuses arent getting power. so Im not sure at this point what tha hells goin on:( :sad2: :slap: :uh:

A20A1
04-30-2005, 10:50 AM
Is the ground wire hooked up from the wire loom near the trans to the thermostat housing. It's a small ground wire... not the main on off the battery.

Forgar_88
05-02-2005, 10:02 AM
there is also a ground wire from the valve cover to the chassis by the radiator. i missed it once and almost tore the car up trying to figure out what was wrong.