PDA

View Full Version : i need my head shaved

Smyth
03-15-2005, 07:53 PM
I was wondering where to get your block and head shaved down. I know it aint at your everyday shop. I looked if this had been already posted and didnt see anything. If im blind sorry for the double post.

88Accord-DX
03-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Look in your local yellow pages under "Auto Machine Shop Service". There should be some shops locally that specialize in engine machine work.

I don't think you want to be shipping off items like that too have it done.

The compression ratio will change when you shave the head & block. Some engines require a special size gasket for the head when shaved. You don't want your valves hitting the top of the piston. Ask the machine shop if they re-commends one. (depending on how much you shave off)

A20A1
03-15-2005, 10:56 PM
I understand shaving the head cause it's aluminum but the block is cast iron, how bad did it overheat?
I dunno... if you shave the block it seems like you'll run the risk of the pistons hitting the head... or will the thicker gasket pretty much take care of it?

numbnuts231
03-16-2005, 08:14 AM
If I may recommend DO NOT SHAVE THE BLOCK. i have seen this done and it is not pretty on an A20. the upper water jacket support is to small already, and is very prone to cracking when shaved. i have seen one cracked and it caused almost 3/10 of an inch out of round in the third cyl. so go with the head shaving and a "good" copper gasket. :slap:

smufguy
03-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Any local Engine builder will have a mill to shave the head. Prices will change and so will the quality of work in correspondance to it. Contact the memebers of your same state and/or town and see if they know anyone good.

NOte: Do not opt for cheaper price all the time.

These are the basic specs u need to have on ur head once its shaved (N=new; SL=service limit)

Warpage: 0.05 mm
Height: 90.0 mm ( N ) ; 89.8 mm ( SL )

hondamanlxi
03-16-2005, 08:40 AM
i cut .05 off my head and its nowhere near the vavles. I think you could go for more! there isnt a need for a thicker gasket....compression IS your freind.

smufguy
03-16-2005, 03:53 PM
the head height cannot be any less than the service limit, so watch it. and like hondaman said, .05mm is the warpage slack and it wont do anything to compression.