PDA

View Full Version : Distributor is stuck, cant adjust timing

FyreDaug
03-17-2005, 03:20 PM
I pulled out the adjusting screw and the dist was stuck, we tried putting a wood block on it and smashing it. We got it to move but its stuck where it moved to, the timing was retarded a little and it didnt fix the problem I was having with the car which I thought was timing. It seems to have a little more throttle response which is good and it still runs "fine" the way it was before so I might leave it. But I would like to be able to get it to move.

Mac
03-17-2005, 03:34 PM
I pulled out the adjusting screw and the dist was stuck, we tried putting a wood block on it and smashing it.

What adjusting screw? You need to loosen the mounting bolts to adjust the timing. If you have a fuel injected engine there is 2 bolts and 1 nut that need to be loosened. On a carb there is 2 bolts that need to be loosened. You should be able to move it by hand.

FyreDaug
03-17-2005, 05:54 PM
What I meant by adjusting screw was (since the bolts in the dist are screws, pulled out with a phillips) and it was supposed to say screws and it still was stuck

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-17-2005, 05:54 PM
:uh: The distributor bolts are located by the valve cover. None of them are phillips head!!! You probably remove the cap screws. That is not how timing is adjusted. Hopefully you didn't cause serious damage to the cap and distributor. As mentioned above, there are two (carbed) or three nuts and bolts that you need to loosen. Look for arc-like slots in the distributor body by the head of the engine. The bolts in these slots are the ones that need to be loosened. Again, check to see if you damaged anything by hitting the distributor.

AccordEpicenter
03-17-2005, 05:58 PM
there are 3 bolts... you need to loosen them up hardcore (or take them out) to set the timing... Smacking the distributor isnt the greatest idea unless its a last resort, you can snap a boss or crack the dizzy if you mess up

Mac
03-17-2005, 06:02 PM
The only phillips screws on the distributor is the ones holding the cap on. They do not have to be removed to adjust timing. There are bolts at the base of dist that hold the whole distributor on. That's what you need to loosen.

FyreDaug
03-17-2005, 08:02 PM
I know what screws hold the caps on, but these are seriously phillips screws, probably not from the factory as they dont have the proper caps and stuff on them. I am 100% positive I had the right bolts, dont worry. I sprayed some penetrating oil on it before I went to work (im there now) and I'll see when I get back. It was quite covered in rust and probably welded itself together. I'm not an idiot, dont worry ;)

Strugglebucket
03-17-2005, 09:16 PM
if you did really loosen the pivot bolts and it still won't move, try loosening the pedastal bolts. they are the two 10mm bolts just to the left of the valve cover.

now, when you loosen them you should be able to move the distributor but you might want to replace the o-ring because if it was frozen up in the head the ring will probably be fäcked. and put some real bolts on there! screws?:nuts:

FyreDaug
03-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Well they are also bolts I guess, 10mm, but they have a phillips head. Penetrating oil helped, me and brother adjusted the timing today thanks