PDA

View Full Version : burning a quart of oil with each tank of gas?

MyFree86Accord
03-18-2005, 10:40 AM
:dunno: HI GUYS

Im getting an 86 accord from a freind of the family for free... Only thing wrong with it is that it needs a new distibutor shaft and for some reason it burns a quart of oil about every tank of gas.... Any ideas as to what could cause that...???? :dunno:

Thanks a bunch and i'll be hanging around here alot now.

BlueBead
03-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Are you sure its burning out? does it smoke out the exhaust? it could be a leak....

If its burning internally it sounds like valve seals or maybe piston rings to me..... I'd recommend pulling the head and getting a valve job done... a good time to replace your head gasket too.
Other than that... for a free car you could try using a heavier grade oil.. that should burn out slower. Not as good for the engine, but it sounds like it won't hurt too much.

YK86
03-18-2005, 11:51 AM
If it's actually burning, then it's time for a good used engine. But having a ton of bad gaskets or a leaky oil pan bolt might cause it to lose alot of oil as well.

guambomb
03-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Are you sure its burning out? does it smoke out the exhaust? it could be a leak....

If its burning internally it sounds like valve seals or maybe piston rings to me..... I'd recommend pulling the head and getting a valve job done... a good time to replace your head gasket too.
Other than that... for a free car you could try using a heavier grade oil.. that should burn out slower. Not as good for the engine, but it sounds like it won't hurt too much.

how much would this cost????????

Oldblueaccord
03-18-2005, 05:23 PM
On a free car I'd run it a while and "see what shakes loose" as we say. Oil is cheap check it alot. I wouldn't dump money into till it proves out to be a good ride. I didnt see your lo-cal but if it wont pass emissions then your sunk. And oil burners usually dont.

wp

danronian
03-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Well it is probably the rings since that is a whole lot of oil to burn, could also be combined with the head leaking oil into the combustion chamber. If the car was properly maintained and has had things like suspension work done to it, and it relatively not too rusty, I would replace the engine since getting a used one installed should be less than $800 if you find a cheap place to do it. If the tranny has any problems that would be an additional $100 at least, so if it is worth it to you go for it but if not, don't.

MyFree86Accord
03-18-2005, 11:36 PM
The guy said its actaully burning the oil... I havent got a chance to look at the car myself yet... gotta wait until i have a day off work to go pick it up. But i was already thinking about dropping a new engine when i can get the cash together. Although i was thinking about dropping something more powerfull in it but since finding this site it seems like that would be extremly expensive to do. If the car runs strong i may just throw on a bodykit and get a paint job. :rice:

YK86
03-19-2005, 01:14 AM
If you don't see a puddle of oil under the car, then it probably is burning it. Is it smoking even after it warms up?? If it blows out blueish smoke when you rev it, the rings are gone.