PDA

View Full Version : Is it the transmission?

slowsixtyseven
03-18-2005, 12:46 PM
WEll, im new to this whole Honda thing, so please bare with me. I just picked up an 88 Accord LX-i. Im wondering how loud the whining of the gears should be? reverse is really loud and whinny, and 5th can get kinda bad, especially when you push on the gas. The other gears are a little noisy, but you really have to listen for it. I went to check the fluid level today but couldnt get the filler bolt off. Any ideas on how i should go about doing this? heat it up w/ a torch, etc? Im guessing either the trans is going, or it has no fluid? any help is appreciated on what might be going on or symptoms of a bad trans. Thanks alot! Chris
PS- is there a filler hole that accepts trans fluid, and what type should i use? :dunno:

POS carb
03-18-2005, 03:43 PM
i always fill the tranny through the top through the power steering slash speedo cable device in the back, it's holding on with no bolt (yours will have a 10mm bolt on it)

when I had the auto tranny on my car I couldn't get the bolt off so I got a brick, a jack, and a 3/8-drive craftsman ratchet with no attachments

put the ratchet on the bolt. set the ratchet to the "loosen" mode (most important step!!) and position it so that the handle is facing the front of the car. hold it so that it doesn't ratchet down and quickly position the jack under the handle from the front of the car and start jacking it up. if the car gets more than 2 or 3 inches off the ground without it budging (you'll hear a crack sound) then move to the next step (don't go any higher because when the bolt goes the car will fall on the extended jack)

jack up the car, put the ratchet on the bolt. set the ratchet to the "loosen" mode (most important step!!) and position it so that the handle is facing the front of the car. put the brick under the handle and lower the car a bit so that the handle just barely rests on the brick. if your ratchet will hold it's angled position without ratcheting down even better. you want the handle with only about 2" of clearance before it hits the bottom of the car. now open the jack's relief valve and let the car come down slow until the bolt breaks open, close the valve and jack up the car again to finish removing the bolt. oil will pour out very fast.

I've never had to fill this through that hole so I dunno but it sound's messy. my method works just fine and hey I get to use a regular funnel

a breaker bar also works great but only if there's enough clearance under the car to move it

slowsixtyseven
03-18-2005, 04:50 PM
So, i read in the chilton book that the manual trans uses the engine oil, and it doesnt necessarily need to be changed/ checked? is this true.....im confused. Thanks

Oldblueaccord
03-18-2005, 06:15 PM
So, i read in the chilton book that the manual trans uses the engine oil, and it doesnt necessarily need to be changed/ checked? is this true.....im confused. Thanks

Well yeah it calls for 10/30 oil but of course it needs to be changed /checked there is a listed interval. I myself use 10/30 Mobile one Honda also sells there own.

The fill/ level check bolt is on the side if the tranny facing the passenger tire. Its about 3/4 the way up on the tranny. Its a 17 mm wrench I think. And yeahs is tight. I usually "monkey fuck" two wrenches together meaning closed end goes onto the bolt the open end you put the closed end of another wrench on it the get double leverage. Breaker bars a possibility also but theres not much room.

wp

Strugglebucket
03-18-2005, 06:26 PM
i always fill the tranny through the top through the power steering slash speedo cable device in the back, it's holding on with no bolt (yours will have a 10mm bolt on it)

when I had the auto tranny on my car I couldn't get the bolt off so I got a brick, a jack, and a 3/8-drive craftsman ratchet with no attachments

put the ratchet on the bolt. set the ratchet to the "loosen" mode (most important step!!) and position it so that the handle is facing the front of the car. hold it so that it doesn't ratchet down and quickly position the jack under the handle from the front of the car and start jacking it up. if the car gets more than 2 or 3 inches off the ground without it budging (you'll hear a crack sound) then move to the next step (don't go any higher because when the bolt goes the car will fall on the extended jack)

jack up the car, put the ratchet on the bolt. set the ratchet to the "loosen" mode (most important step!!) and position it so that the handle is facing the front of the car. put the brick under the handle and lower the car a bit so that the handle just barely rests on the brick. if your ratchet will hold it's angled position without ratcheting down even better. you want the handle with only about 2" of clearance before it hits the bottom of the car. now open the jack's relief valve and let the car come down slow until the bolt breaks open, close the valve and jack up the car again to finish removing the bolt. oil will pour out very fast.

I've never had to fill this through that hole so I dunno but it sound's messy. my method works just fine and hey I get to use a regular funnel

a breaker bar also works great but only if there's enough clearance under the car to move it
that is truly some ghetto engineering right there. :lol:
i would just jack it up and use a breaker bar.

danronian
03-18-2005, 09:40 PM
I just slipped a pipe over the end of the 3/8in ratchet (all that would fit in the space), and got the filler off after placing my feet on the suspension for leverage. I would use 10w40 for the tranny, the fluid is supposed to be changed, I can't remember the interval, maybe 20k mi? It says in the online, downloadable honda manual (very useful and free, link is a tech forum sticky), or in your car manual, if it came with one.
If it still wines all the time in all the gears after you change and top off the fluid it could be your differential, which does often go in these cars, which means the tranny has to come out. A fairly loud whine in reverse is normal, I've never driven in a honda without it, even the autos. Be sure to get the bolt off and the fluid topped off b/c if you drive it with 5th whining too much you could lose the gear.

slowsixtyseven
03-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the quick replies already! So does the engine and trans share the same oil? and also, does the trans/ engine oil have to be changed seperately (like do they have 2 seperate oil areas)? thanks

Oldblueaccord
03-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the quick replies already! So does the engine and trans share the same oil? and also, does the trans/ engine oil have to be changed seperately (like do they have 2 seperate oil areas)? thanks

Well in this case yes its motor oil in both but they are separte. The transmission from the motor as far as oil goes. the motor takes about 4 qts with the fliter change while the tranny takes about 2.2 quarts, i believe. EDIT theres no tranny filter.

Also as a tip I dont use much of 5th around town esp. under speeds of 50 mph. I just leave it in 4th. Its my preferance but I think its easier on the tranny and the motor also not to be letting it dog (bog) so much. I concnetrate more on keeping the RPM's around 3k for most drivng.

wp

BlueBead
03-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Honda sells a 10W30 tranny oil that I'd go with. You could also try some synchromesh, some of the guys say thats good stuff too.
Reverse always whines and the whine in 5th means the 5th gear synchros are going. you can have the whole 5th gear replaced without removing the tranny (huge bonus!!).
Mine whines in 5th too.... I'm driving it until it craps out, and then I'll be doing a rebuild.
Good luck man!