PDA

View Full Version : Amp Problem! (Sony)

JFreddy
03-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Alright, I have a very annoying problem! I have a sony xplod deck, a sony 800w amp (one of those pentagon ones? its the red one usually sold for ab out 100$ give or take a few bucks) anyways and I have two ten inch JL W3 subs. I'm not a stereo genius but i know a little bit. so the problem is the amp keeps blowing fuses, :mad: :mad: it didnt blow any fuses and it work fine for 4 months. I have ten guage wire for power (yes its tiny, and I have larger stuff but havent gotten around to putting it in.) the ground wire is 8 guage, and the rca jacks are all put in the proper place, none of the wires are touching eachother.. it's all been installed by me but it's been done as professional as I can get, no shortcuts at all. The fuse is a 30A green fuse, (yes its small again, but this amp kit was just a cheap one from wal-mart). I've tried everything, re wired everything, tried the subs in a diff car to see if it was the subs. I'm thinking its the amp... Is it this stupid sony amp? or might it be something else? Sorry this is so long and thanks for the help. Oh yeah ! ONe more thing, the fuse blows as soon as I turn the car on or turn the stereo on by turning the key one or two notches. But the fuse is fine until i turn the key. Now some may say its the size wire n fuse thats the problem, but... I donno it worked for the 4 months before now. :uh: :dunno:

PortugalFocus
03-18-2005, 02:21 PM
if it's a single 30A fuse, the I think it's the fuse. Did you touch the gain at all or the Low Bass Hz?

i'd say cram a 40A fuse in there and see what happens, either it won't blow or it will melt down. ;)

if it does blow then something has gotten loose and is now grounding out elsewhere.

if it doesnt blow then you are fine

if it melts down then it doesnt really matter because you will need a new amp.

Hash_man_Se_i
03-18-2005, 02:44 PM
I could be wrong, but couldn't it possibly be an improper ground?... try mounting it elsewhere.

Otherwise i;d just say its your POS sony amp... buy something better.

PortugalFocus
03-18-2005, 02:47 PM
I could be wrong, but couldn't it possibly be an improper ground?... try mounting it elsewhere.

Otherwise i;d just say its your POS sony amp... buy something better.

Agreed it def sounds like a ground problem, that fuse will most likely on pop with electricity in open loop ( 0 resistance or infinite resistance).

HostileJava
03-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Actually my Sony's have 40's in them. Did you replace the original with with a smaller size? I don't normally recommend just sticking a bigger fuse in, as that's really looked down upon as because it's a good way to damage a possibly good peice of electronics, but it sounds like you may be running a smaller amp rating then you should be.

A20A3inside
03-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I am in total aggreeance. Has to be the Ground or as I read...buy better: RF is the ONLY way....I would say to mount the AMP to the box (or trunk floor) and then scratch the metal (as you may not have the ebst ground you could have) and then see how that works. :rockon:

Hash_man_Se_i
03-19-2005, 01:04 AM
buy better: RF is the ONLY way

Lol... don't know who taught you about car audio, but i can tell you they are very wrong, RF is faaaaar from the best, especially as far as amps are concerned.

Strugglebucket
03-19-2005, 01:45 AM
are you blowing the fuse on your amp or the fuse on your power wire??

Hash_man_Se_i
03-19-2005, 12:54 PM
^^ sounds like its the one on the amp to me.

JFreddy
03-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Oh Sorry I didnt specify, The fuse that is blowing is on the power wire right near the battery. The ground idea is what I thought because I tried many different spots, the only thing that kinda puzzles me about that is why it would change now... but work for the first 4 months. The fuses in the amp are two 30's and I'm pretty sure that they havent been changed, I got this amp for free from a girlfriend for doing work on her car so I don't think shes messed around with them. Also this amp has caused problems before (it's been taken back 2 times under warranty)

87AccordsterLx
03-19-2005, 08:58 PM
looks like you need a new amp bro...

JFreddy
03-22-2005, 08:24 AM
looks like you need a new amp bro...
:werd: :uh:

slow87LX
03-22-2005, 03:29 PM
are you sure your battery power wire isn't shorting out somewhere on the body? if it got kinked or sliced open and is making contact with the body that would definately blow your fuses..

HostileJava
03-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Oh Sorry I didnt specify, The fuse that is blowing is on the power wire right near the battery. The ground idea is what I thought because I tried many different spots, the only thing that kinda puzzles me about that is why it would change now... but work for the first 4 months. The fuses in the amp are two 30's and I'm pretty sure that they havent been changed, I got this amp for free from a girlfriend for doing work on her car so I don't think shes messed around with them. Also this amp has caused problems before (it's been taken back 2 times under warranty)

If there are two 30's in the amp you should really be running a 50 or 60 at the battery. :idea:

Sabz5150
03-22-2005, 04:57 PM
If there are two 30's in the amp you should really be running a 50 or 60 at the battery. :idea:

I'd say run a 100 amp fuse. It isn't much more than a 60, and if the amp is the problem, you're guaranteed to pop the amp fuses first.

Sabz5150
03-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Agreed it def sounds like a ground problem, that fuse will most likely on pop with electricity in open loop ( 0 resistance or infinite resistance).

Infinite resistance is an open circuit. Ya can't pop a fuse that way. Zero resistance, now that will cook it right off.

DXDriver
03-31-2005, 05:47 PM
Well it sounds like your amp is the problem, if it worked for four months before now and it just started doing this its probly the amp! I'd say that your transformer might have shorted its coil to ground. or it could be another one of the diodes or resistors have fused and caused a short

Vanilla Sky
03-31-2005, 07:23 PM
it sounds like your power wire is grouning (shorting) out... seems like slow87lx has it right

you've got problems outside of your amp...

try this...

unhook the power wire from the amp and keep it from shorting on anything... put a fresh fuse in your fuseholder by the battery... turn on your car... if it doesn't pop, then that's not your problem...

if it turns out that your power wire isn't the problem, see if you can find someone that will bench test your amp, or maybe just put the amp in another car...

JFreddy
04-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Yeah I think I solved the problem, put the amp ina friends car, and it blew his 50 amp fuse at his battery. So yeah this amp has also been returned to A&B sound 2 times under warranty already, I think I'm just going to chuck it! Stupid Sony Amps!

Hash_man_Se_i
04-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Yeah I think I solved the problem, put the amp ina friends car, and it blew his 50 amp fuse at his battery. So yeah this amp has also been returned to A&B sound 2 times under warranty already, I think I'm just going to chuck it! Stupid Sony Amps!

Haha cleaning out the stock room at work on the weekend we chucked two sony amps as well.

Vanilla Sky
04-04-2005, 12:52 PM
man, i wish you guys would send me all these bad amps :p

hehe, it's good to be a repair man

Ludi Mali
04-04-2005, 01:16 PM
for future reference, I've found the rear shock towers to be the best place to ground an amp. you can bolt it down real tight and don't have to worry about it coming lose.

3rdCoast
07-08-2005, 01:15 PM
what size fuses r in the amp. Get rid of that shitty blade fuse by ur battery and get them cylinder fuses with a holder try to get that batter fuse as close to fuse rating on ur amp (look at the fuse(s) in amp if u got more than 1 ad the fuse #'s together ei 3X25a fuses = 75a so get a batter line fuse thats as close to 75 or more than 75 and ur problem is gone. If the amps fuses r blowing than thats something that needs to be really looked at

HostileJava
07-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Why is a blade fuse any worse then the cylinder ones and why did you dig up a 4 month old thread?

3rdCoast
07-08-2005, 01:48 PM
blade fuses dont have as high amp rating as the cylinder fuses except the big ass maxi fuses and i was reading through these and nobody knows what they r talkin about well most dont....... also i did i to help out future problems for other ppl that may use the threat search to try to find an old threat to try to help with their problem they arent gonna get much help from a bunch of unanswered questions and mis info

HostileJava
07-08-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't know if you read the whole thread, but there is definetly good advice in it and since he never responded with more information or what fixed the problem, only that he blew a 50amp fuse in his friends car, seems like the amp is designed to draw more then that anyway though if it has two 30 amp fuses in it, the thread is semi usless anyway. Not to mention the question you asked him about the amp rating of the fuse's was answered in the thread. I'll agree that some people in the thread didn't know what they were talking about, but i'd say if you read the whole thread you can easily see where members were corrected.

3rdCoast
07-08-2005, 02:01 PM
like i said i did it for future search purposes and he never mentioned what the fuse rating of the amp was just the in line power wire fuse ration and i know the amp has more than a 30amp fuse rating. It was just too much amp draw for that small fuse. easy fix. For future reference man thats all chill :cool:

HostileJava
07-08-2005, 04:27 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showpost.php?p=503329&postcount=14

Read the quote, he edited his first post. Read the whole thread.

POS carb
07-08-2005, 05:44 PM
your amp is f**ked I have the same issue with my sony's the transistors are fried
I had a pair of mobile es high current/high voltage switchale amps and when I'd turn them on in high voltage mode (regular) they would go to protection immediately, even with no speaker wires connected. When I'd switch it to high current it would just blow the fuse
I had to send the amps back for warranty work

3rdCoast
07-08-2005, 06:07 PM
sony is also a bad brand steer clear of them poor products

HostileJava
07-08-2005, 06:16 PM
sony is also a bad brand steer clear of them poor products

I hope you are just refering to car amps. Cause I'll gladly argue with you that sony's higher end shit is not a "poor product" :slap:

3rdCoast
07-08-2005, 07:10 PM
their car audio subs really suck

POS carb
07-12-2005, 05:00 PM
actually their subs take a beating, I was pushing one 12" xplod that a buddy lent me and I put it in a little sealed box, it bumped pretty loud but after abusing it so much ( I went from 2 15's to 1 12, go figure) the cone cracked from the dustcap all the way to the surround

Cheeseburger
07-12-2005, 05:40 PM
I hope you are just refering to car amps. Cause I'll gladly argue with you that sony's higher end shit is not a "poor product" :slap:

finaly some one who agrees with me

lostforawhile
07-12-2005, 06:44 PM
i've had sony amps for years never had a problem

3G Jester
07-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Xplode sucks. ill take the amp to fix it if your just gonna throw it out. could use the practice. check your grounds just in case......and let this thread die.