PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover gasket headache

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Although the valve cover gasket leaks are a well-covered topic, I have not seen an explanation for what I'm going through with mine in any of the old threads. So here is the situation: New valve cover (straight and true, perfect condition), new grommets, new OEM Honda gasket, everything is tightened down evenly. The valve cover leaks from the front regardless of how much I degrease the mating surfaces or how much effort I put into getting the gasket to seal. Every other area is tight except this one. This is the third gasket I have tried and probably the 5th time I have gone through the process of trying to eliminate the leak. The only thing I haven't done is torque all the nuts with a torque wrench, but I do however tighten them perfectly evenly (45 degree incriments from finger tight). I have noticed that the front lip on the head looks a bit stained by oil, but I can't remove that. Is using the grey Honda sealant my last resort? What is the part number for this item or what is it officially called? I'm at my wits' end with this leak (to tell the truth, eliminating the oil filter base leak was probably quicker and easier). I would appreciate any input on this issue. Thanks in advance.

AccordEpicenter
03-18-2005, 04:19 PM
tighten the nuts until they bottom out... theyll just stop (dont tighten them any more)

Oldblueaccord
03-18-2005, 05:27 PM
tighten the nuts until they bottom out... theyll just stop (dont tighten them any more)

Possilbly but hard to do to warp the valve cover. Check to see how straight it is. Its very ,very common on cheap steal covers like on V-8's.

Could just permatex it. its no biggie just cut off the dry excess no one will no.

wp

Strugglebucket
03-18-2005, 06:19 PM
get a torque wrench and tighten the bolts to 7lbs. tighten the center bolt some first and then left and right and then torque them down center first then left and right.

the shop manual says to use non-hardening sealant on the seams where the pedastal meets the head. that's where your leaks will start, just like with a crank seal. some red RTV should work fine.

danronian
03-18-2005, 09:34 PM
But if you have a steel cover it could be warped. Is your PCV or breather inside the valve cover clogged? If it is that can cause excess pressure in the cover and will blow out the seals.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-19-2005, 07:38 AM
My cover is not warped. It has been thoroughly cleaned out and I have made sure that it is in perfect condition. PCV hose is clear of obstructions. I'm really thinking of trying the Honda sealant. Bottoming out the nuts also hasn't helped (tried that before). Anyone know what the sealant is called so I can get the right thing at the dealer? (I have tried other non-hardening sealants...no luck :() And this time I'll get myself a low-torque torque wrench. If anyone has any recommendations as to where I could purchase this, I'd appreciate it. So far I have only found a beam-type small torque wrench at Sears. Thanks for the help. :)

danronian
03-19-2005, 08:02 AM
The beam-type are the most accurate and cheapest torque wrenches but the most annoying to use. I have one and I really want to buy a clicker type soon even though they are less accurate. Depending on the engine mileage there could just be too much blow-by in the valve cover for the breather to keep up with.

'A20A3'
03-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Is it possible that the head could be slightly warped?

smufguy
03-19-2005, 09:18 AM
I dont have any leaks in the front whatsoever. Ur leaks, Like mentioned, could be coming from the edges. where the cam guides are (left and right). Apply a thin coat of gasket maker, let it dry and then try reinstalling.

Is it possible that the head could be slightly warped?

not a chance, unless there are gashes on the mating surface bwt the valve cover gasket and the head. usually warpage happens (in the head) on the high tempe side, which is the side with the valve face (conbustion chamber side).

numbnuts231
03-19-2005, 04:25 PM
It may not be the valve cover leaking. I had a front camshaft leak that threw oil around and made it look like a valve cover leaking.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-19-2005, 07:47 PM
I am fairly sure that it is the front of the cover that is leaking. Looks like I'll be applying some sealer to the gasket the next time. Suprisingly enough the sides of the cover have not been as much of an issue for me as for many other people. Thanks again for your input.