PDA

View Full Version : SEI Rear Disc Brakes - availibility ?

vongiese
03-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Anyone know a good source for rebuilt rear calipers?
The rear breaks have not been working too well on my 89 SEI. Especially noticed the parking break doesn't hold the car - even on a slight incline....Inspected the calipers and looks like they are not working much - rotors (installed by previous owner about 12,000 miles ago) were a litlle rusty - like the pads are not rubbing! The parking break lever on one side is frozen (thus my parking break problem).
Well - looking around local and on the net - can't find a set of rebuilt calipers. Many sites (ie imprtedcarparts.com) only list the right side as available. Local shop can special order with additional shipping costs, but I'm not sure they won't run into the same thing....
Anyone know a good source for rebuilt rear calipers? :dunno:
thanks!

Vinny
03-18-2005, 04:35 PM
I got mine at advance autoparts aka partsamerica.com I just warranty exchanged a lifetime rear caliper for the exact same thingyou are talking about

Moodybluesr
03-20-2005, 01:34 PM
www.autozone.com
www.partsamerica.com
www.rockauto.com <---- my recommendation
www.alloemautoparts.com

carotman
03-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Local places are probably the best. I brought my own calipers there and they just rebuilt those. Of course, you would be without a car for like 2 says which sucks.

If you do find rebuilt calipers on an online store, PLEASE send the cores back. Too many people just throw them in the garbage. Those are rare calipers and if everyone returns their cores, they will be available for a long time.

vongiese
03-22-2005, 08:48 PM
holy cow - what a runaround. First - thanks for the tips - a couple sites I haven't seen. I didn't realize they are THAT rare. A couple places only had right side available. One local place listed them but couldn't get them and one had to special order and would charge me shipping. I went to partsamerica.com and found some for a decent price. Followed some likes to a Shucks auto - not too awful far from me :lol: . Called them up - quoted me $67.99 ea. I called back to verify - told the guy they sounded too :bowrofl: cheap. He double checked and I ordered them. Made the 150 mi round trip (took momma out to dinner) and they were FRONT calipers! Turns out his computer brought those up under "rear caliper".... He ended up giving me a break on their real cost ($155) to $113, so ordered them.
Found out today - they had trouble getting them and had to order direct from Raybestos and won't be in for a week!!!
carotman is right on - these are rare - turn your old ones in. If you do have these breaks - keep them up - rebuild them before they freeze up. Rebuild kits are only about $15. And proly any part (bearing) available at honda - otherwise you're looking at a 300$bill. :uh:

Moodybluesr
03-23-2005, 01:01 AM
$68 each from www.rockauto.com after the core charge.

vongiese
03-24-2005, 09:42 AM
$68 each from www.rockauto.com after the core charge.

Those are unloaded calipers - I believe it doesn't include the half of the caliper that bolts to the hub(and seals and slide pins - mine are stuck). I see loaded are $95 from rockauto. little cheaper than the $113 I paid, but have to pay for shipping and return core shipping to the tune of about $30.
Thanks - I'll definitely use this place.

Vinny
03-24-2005, 10:30 AM
I have a second part number for the rears that I bought at Advanceauto/parts america. If I can find it I will let you know on here. I believe they are 67 or 76 each

Moodybluesr
03-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Loaded = Comes with brake pads

Unloaded = Does not come with brake pads

Vinny
03-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Do the ones from Rockauto come with a lifetime warranty like the ones I picked up at Advance?

Moodybluesr
03-24-2005, 06:59 PM
You think it would be easier for me to look on their website than you? :P