PDA

View Full Version : Tubular front beam idea

AccordEpicenter
03-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Hmm what do you guys think... im thinking about running a partially tubular front beam, like take the stock front beam, leave about a foot of the stock beam on the ends for the mounting points and radius rods, and then welding in a 3" 16 gauge pipe and 1/4" steel plates onto each of the stock ends... think itll work? Im looking to open up space in there, and increase rigidity and lower weight... comments?

Justin86
03-19-2005, 11:05 AM
ahh very interesting, I guess you have seen the similar stuff on Honda-Tech about that. 3" is prop over kill 1.5" x .095" wall is what you want. Also you could weld it to the towing hooks that way it can be removed and you could also use it to make custom mounts for a ratiator of your choice. Here's a link for rod ends http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=esection.asp&N=120+4294925130+4294925129

AccordEpicenter
03-19-2005, 01:17 PM
well i wanted to go at least 2.0 in because unlike a civic we have radius rods that go thru our front beams so i need a fair amount of strength, plus our front tranny mount is there too... i dont think 1.5 would be stiff enough...

Justin86
03-19-2005, 04:31 PM
well with the CRX one since it has a front mount also I think they used 2x 1" tubing for it. If your doing this to allow for more exhaust clerance then you won't be able to use the stock radius rods since it will be pushed back further. How are you planing to connect the radius rods?

Here is the CRX one..........
http://www.modacar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/RATScrx-small.jpg

and civic..............
http://www.modacar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/RATS1001-small.jpg

AccordEpicenter
03-20-2005, 03:36 PM
i wanted to keep the factory ends on the front beam where it bolts in to the frame and where the radius rod comes in, then take a piece of pipe and run it basically between the 2 pieces. I looked at it today and forgot about the crossmember... and 3" pipe is a little large... i think 2" might be a better choice... We will see, im not sure this is worth doing now...

Justin86
03-20-2005, 09:53 PM
ok so the only thing being changed in the middle peice and front mount. That should help free up some room if the front for exhaust and turbo, but not much for weight loss. That front memeber isn't that heavy, only 27lbs so at the most you might remove 5lbs. While the full tublar one will be half as heavy.

PhydeauX
03-21-2005, 01:27 PM
If Johnny O is still around he had one made for his car. If you can get in contact with him he can probalby help you out. It wasn't that thick, maybe an inch an a half or so and was built from chrome molly tube. If you were looking at the car from the bottom there was a strait bar across where the 2 front bolts for the sub frame are and then 2 smaller bars about 6" long triangulate from the second bolt holes to the main bar. U brackets were welded to the bottom to attach the radius arms and the rubber bushings on the arms were replaced by spherical rod ends. Weld a plate on the bar to attach the motor mount and there you have it.

andy

Justin86
03-21-2005, 05:48 PM
well I just got all my materials I should have pics up by the end of the week, along as my rod ends get here in time.