PDA

View Full Version : cant go past 4k rpm without smokin up

Magny
03-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Every time i go past 4k rpms now it sends out a big cloud of bluish/white smoke, and does this until I let up off the gas. its been happening ever since i found out i had no oil in my car and the car overheated. when i saw the gauge reach up high on the temp i stopped and turned it off. i knew it was the oil but wasnt sure if i had enugh to get me around for the day without burnin up (small leak but not major, just lose about 1/2 a quart every month or so). when i got oil, I got the stuff from a shell gas station called prostop (i think) 5w30 when i think i shoulda gotten 10w30. but i dont think the oil has to do with the problem and i know i didnt warp the head cause i checked my water and oil, and none of them are mixed. what could be the prob??? i checked just about everything. and still cant find the source for the smoke to happen. oh and also my car does a ticking sound when at idle and gets louder when i accelerate, but when i cruise it with a bit of gas, it doesn't tick. cant be an open exhaust cause i checked it over for holes and openings too.

YK86
03-19-2005, 11:40 PM
My first car was an 83 Accord and I was just learning about cars back then. I didn't check the oil too frequently and I let it get too low only once. Ever since then, it would burn oil and just got worse and worse. It's kind of a down hill ride once you damage it enough to burn oil. Over heating and running low on oil is defiently enough to hurt the cylinder walls and rings. It doesn't sound too good.

Did it tick before the overheating/low oil? I worked on another 83 Accord before and it was billowing out smoke at the lights and on acceleration along with valve train noise. But a valve adjustment got rid of that. I guess it was neglected for so long, the clearances were totally off.

Oldblueaccord
03-20-2005, 12:14 AM
Every time i go past 4k rpms now it sends out a big cloud of bluish/white smoke, and does this until I let up off the gas. its been happening ever since i found out i had no oil in my car and the car overheated. when i saw the gauge reach up high on the temp i stopped and turned it off. i knew it was the oil but wasnt sure if i had enugh to get me around for the day without burnin up (small leak but not major, just lose about 1/2 a quart every month or so). when i got oil, I got the stuff from a shell gas station called prostop (i think) 5w30 when i think i shoulda gotten 10w30. but i dont think the oil has to do with the problem and i know i didnt warp the head cause i checked my water and oil, and none of them are mixed. what could be the prob??? i checked just about everything. and still cant find the source for the smoke to happen. oh and also my car does a ticking sound when at idle and gets louder when i accelerate, but when i cruise it with a bit of gas, it doesn't tick. cant be an open exhaust cause i checked it over for holes and openings too.

Probably hurt the piston rings with the overheat low oil deal. tick is probably a valve or rocker maybe damaged. You can try adjusting the valves some to get rid of the tick.

wp

Magny
03-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Did it tick before the overheating/low oil?

Yeah it started doin it for like 2 weeks straight before the overheat.

But a valve adjustment got rid of that. I guess it was neglected for so long, the clearances were totally off.

Guess I gotta check my clearances for that then.

So noone can come up with the smoke thing huh??? Im guessing it might be due to the valve clearance that will cause this lol. oh wel I'll check the clearances and see if it might be the prob.

Oldblueaccord
03-21-2005, 03:53 AM
Yeah it started doin it for like 2 weeks straight before the overheat.

Guess I gotta check my clearances for that then.

So noone can come up with the smoke thing huh??? Im guessing it might be due to the valve clearance that will cause this lol. oh wel I'll check the clearances and see if it might be the prob.

Rings.

wp

Magny
03-21-2005, 01:49 PM
well cant check the car now lol...................sucks badly tho.

MY CAR HAS BEEN STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!

AccordEpicenter
03-21-2005, 01:55 PM
if i were you id thank my lucky stars... now get your insurance claim money and get a fresh 3g

Magny
03-21-2005, 06:46 PM
lol cant get a claim on Liability ONLY!!!! i wanna kill myself now lol

snow_man_20
03-22-2005, 05:20 AM
wow that's not good at all, i have aways been uneasy about getting my car stolen i have only liability too. I have a 2-way alarm so now i'm more uneazy about deer in the road and other people driving. That sucks. :sad2:

Blkblurr
03-22-2005, 06:30 AM
What kind of insurance do you guys have anyway? I have liability only but it includes comprehensive which covers theft.

Magny
03-22-2005, 10:35 PM
lol, talked to my agent and says my insurance doesnt cover theft.

But anyways good news, got the car back. Bad news, rims, stereo equip, cell phone, car seat, brand new brake pads and rottors, wing, muffler (back half, after the cat to the rear), steering wheel, hood pins, and shift knob stolen.

other good news, got someone interested in buying as is for $500. bad news lol, can't find a car yet. found 2 people with 84 nissan 300zx, one needs hella parts, other needs water pump as far as i can tell waitin for reply from him. found also a 87 civic Si with 89 CRX Si motor in it, supposevly has a bent valve arm. othe than that no car lol.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-22-2005, 10:44 PM
That would be called a Follower. Rides on the cam lobes and moves the valves accordingly. hehhe accordingly accord....

BlueBead
03-23-2005, 12:16 AM
damn man, shitty 'bout the 'cord!
g'luck with getting a new ride!

snow_man_20
03-23-2005, 04:11 AM
lol, talked to my agent and says my insurance doesnt cover theft.

But anyways good news, got the car back. Bad news, rims, stereo equip, cell phone, car seat, brand new brake pads and rottors, wing, muffler (back half, after the cat to the rear), steering wheel, hood pins, and shift knob stolen.

other good news, got someone interested in buying as is for $500. bad news lol, can't find a car yet. found 2 people with 84 nissan 300zx, one needs hella parts, other needs water pump as far as i can tell waitin for reply from him. found also a 87 civic Si with 89 CRX Si motor in it, supposevly has a bent valve arm. othe than that no car lol.

so you didn't get the car back.... you got the frame back.

Magny
03-23-2005, 06:22 AM
well yeah in a way, but for some reason they gave me original solid spoke style rims on the car. i mean they are original, not no hub cap to cover steelies, the actual thing. ill try to get pics up of the damage and the rims it came with. im thinkin of puttin all the steelies on it and take the rubber off the originals and sell the rim only on ebay or somethin. lol get money for some original stock parts that look somewhat blemished from like mud and crap.

Magny
03-23-2005, 06:29 AM
anyways the other thing is, Im gonna stop the current topic and get back on the originally started topic, just for the reason of information for others just in case it happens to them. I started another thread for replys to go onto about my car being stolen. so current topic dead, back to the first one.

here is the thread to reply about the stolen car and recovered:
Well good news and bad news for me (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?p=503512#post503512)

ANyone know what else I may have to do. Havent gotten to checkin the valve clearance yet, but since I got the car back, I am gonna check it cause I got the car sold just not completed the transaction yet. so whatever i can do to fix it before he gets it will be great.

bobafett
03-23-2005, 05:52 PM
i hate fucking faggot theifs...

sorry to hear about your car man... i hope whoever stole it gets hit by a drunk driver...

and good luck finding a new car...

its a longshot , but ambers 3g is for sale, but for $800.. ;-)
http://www.digitalsurrender.com/cars/accordforsale.html

EDIT: oops i didnt see that you wanted stolen car posts in the other thread.... sorry... mods can move this if they want to...

Magny
05-18-2005, 08:31 PM
so since i have decided to keep my car and start fixin her back up, does anyone know what i can do about the tickin lol. my guess is that i have a spark knock cause when i accel. it gets louder, but when i decel in gear it goes away. it even ticks in idle. still tried to trace the sound and to exactly where it is coming from, but i really do have a feeling its due to my electrical system not charging. the damn battery light still comes on everytime i restart the ca and doesnt go away for 10 mins.. so what i am thinkin of doin is savin up the money to get a brand new alt, not another reman.. if that doesnt work then i know its not a spark knock. other than that sometime on sat. i will check the rocker arm clearance to the valve just in case. btw what was the clearance on those again. saw a thread related to it, but can't find it again.