PDA

View Full Version : Alt. going¿

mag_pbg
03-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Here latly my alternator belt has been squealing (sp) when the car is cold but yesterday it squealled for a good 7 miles, it use to only squeal when I would go from a dead stop to around 2 mph and then stop but yesterday it didn't matter if I was stopped or was driving. The alternator is 2 years old so I wouldn't think it would need replaced so soon, I used to have a system so that could have some stress on, but im wondering if maybe the belt is just bad. Is there anything I can spray on the belt to quite it down for a day or two.

Mac
03-20-2005, 09:18 AM
It might be just the belt is loose or worn. There is a spray (belt dressing I think) that might be a temporary fix. It is best to just change the belt. Is the batt light coming on or lights dimming?

mag_pbg
03-20-2005, 10:07 AM
The battery light hasn't came on, but the lights do get dim at night when I come to a stop, but that could have something to do witht my idle being low. Im going to fix the idle today, and see if that stops the lights from going dim, if not then I will start with a new belt.

Oldblueaccord
03-21-2005, 03:56 AM
The battery light hasn't came on, but the lights do get dim at night when I come to a stop, but that could have something to do witht my idle being low. Im going to fix the idle today, and see if that stops the lights from going dim, if not then I will start with a new belt.

Check your battery connections to, The last battery I bought the terminals will screw all the way down but the negative wasn't tight/ I could and did twist it loose with my hand. I didnt notice it until I jumped started someone.

wp

Immeraufdemhund
03-21-2005, 06:14 AM
With your lights going dim, my car did that with a brand new battery and a new alternator. I dont remember if there is an advance auto parts, but i think autozone does it do...but you can have them check your alternator and battery for free. The little battery tester that advance has can be tempormental no matter what the outcome have them check it twice. (it's in their job description, i used to have to do it all the time)

as for your squeeling belts do wear out and stretch with heat. Check your belt for tension. You should only have about 1/2" of free play. Also check it for cracks and chips in the belt. To tighten your belt you'll need a 14mm wrench or socket, 12mm wrench AND deep socket with a 3" extension. loosen up your alternator upper and lower bolts bolts and/or nuts (just enough so the alternator can move, but it wont move easily by hand if at all) once those things are loose put your deep socket with extension and snake your hand by the master cylinder and tighten up that nut. With your free hand hold your finger on the belt to feel how much tension is on it. If you dont have belt dression you can use a bar of soap on the inside of the belt with your car running. JUST BE CAREFUL! make sure the soap has no grit in it (like lava soap)

any questions? good now for a pop quiz..........