PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions

B3_Ex-i
03-20-2005, 06:29 PM
First of all, I am new to the Honda and I am very interested in learning on how to fix my own car. I bought my car about a month ago. A few weeks ago I had an electrical test done to the car and the mechanic said that I had a bad starter. He said that there are 2 different starters that could be on my car and depending on which one it is, it will either cost $186 (part and labor) or $204 (part and labor). Does it matter what starter is on the car to begin with and if so, what do you recommend??
My second question is this......the engine light comes on quite often now and found out that there might be a problem with the coolent sensors. How do I check those? The temperature gauge doesn't show that it gets hot, but would it be possible that it can't detect anything above warm?? I mean, could there be something wrong with the gauge as well??
I did buy a manual, but like I said, I'm new to all of this. I am very interested in learning and I think this would be the next best thing to a manual.

AccordNut
03-20-2005, 07:06 PM
well replacing the starter you could do yourself if you wanted. (brand new starter $60) you gotta find out what kind yours is first, if you look at your starter and it has round part or cylinder looking thing on it then its a mitsuba, if it looks rectangular then its nippodenso i believe. I bet the friendly folks at your local Auto Zone could help you with that if you asked...GET IN THE ZONE!!! AutozoneŠ

sorry i just really like that store, anyway heres an excellent manual to help you figure out how to replace your starter http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

download the engine electrical portion and you will find it, you can find out about your coolant sensor here as well just look around.

HostileJava
03-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Starter is very easy to replace, just remember to disconnect the battery so you don't weld your wrench to the tranny (Steve :D). I'd suggerst buying it from an autoparts store and doing it yourself.