PDA

View Full Version : auto to manual swap problems

msgoose84
03-20-2005, 06:47 PM
I did a auto to manual swap about 2 months ago. The first thing was the cruise will not work no more i dont know if it is because the electronics from auto arent sending a signal saying its in gear or park. The other thing is my trans is leaking like crazy. Need to know if the trans oil can leak out around the p/s speedo input. Or can it come out of the drivers out put shaft if so how to remove and install no seal. Thanks

BITESIZE
03-20-2005, 08:16 PM
I tried to get my cruise to work for months and finally said fuck it, and i ripped all the cruise components out.

HostileJava
03-20-2005, 08:29 PM
I ripped out my cruise as well during the swap. Trans fluid should not be coming out of the speed sensor. It's all the way at the top of the trans and the fluid should at the bottom. You might get some light spray out of it if you had nothing there, but should have fluid leaking out of it. It's more then likely that it's either coming from one of the shafts or the drain bolt. Make sure your drain bolt is in tight. It could also be coming from either axle. There are seals on either side that you can repacing without taking the trans apart. I had the same problem. I replaced both seals and it was still leaking. Turned out that the opening had been slightly ovaled because the trans was in an accident and the shafts got pushed back. I hope this isn't the case with you. When I discovered this I just got a prelude tranny.

Mac
03-21-2005, 03:30 PM
You are on the right track with the cruise. Did you install the clutch pedal switch? Without it the cruise doesn't know it is in gear. On automatics the gear selector has a switch to let the cruise know it's in gear and on 5 speeds it's the clutch switch. Anyway if you can get a clutch switch (junkyard) just put it in and hook it up, and the cruise should work. The connector should be there right next to your brake switch connector. It's a connector with a pink wire and a black wire. You can also just rig it by jumpering the pink and black wires together. But then the cruise will not disengage when you hit the clutch. Best bet is to get a switch, everything is there to mount it and hook it up.

As far as the tranny leak. Did you use the same driveshafts? If you did one might be leaking. One side is shorter on an auto or manual and the other side is the same, I think.

POS carb
03-21-2005, 06:25 PM
you probably are using the wrong brake pedal, make sure that the switch on your brakes has 4 wires not 2

also both of those items have replacable seals, no big deal although the speed sensor on mine has survived 250000 miles without leaking yet so it's more likely a damaged axle. What color is the oil?

msgoose84
03-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Im going to try everything each one of you said. Then ill post an update. the oil is clear brown color thats leaking why i thought it was trans oil. But the p/w is clear and might be getting dirty. It just wants to be a pain in the neck for now. But thanks ill post back soon. Matthew

msgoose84
03-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Alright im back again after about 5 hours of waisting my time with the honda. So far nothing has worked. The controls where the auto shifter went had to be plugged in at all times. For the ignition to work. So far i got that by passed. But the cruise control is never ending i put in the plunger with the pink and black wire on it nothing works still I also replaced the buttons on the sterring wheel. Still nothing if you unplug the 4 wire connector going into the cruise there is no power going to it. IM downloading a engine and body electrical book now. Maybe i can run my on system on it. Also does the computer need to be swapped out cause i did all this from an 89 4 door LXI. Cuase my 89LXI 2door. Through a rod through the block on a midnight escpade with a turbo eclipse. LOL. SO i bought a wreck 4 door 5speed LXI and did complete swap motor. Then i tore out the auto and put in the 5speed. THanks everyone.

BITESIZE
03-24-2005, 06:39 PM
Dude forget about the cruise...i've tried numerous hours....:)

msgoose84
03-25-2005, 11:40 AM
BITESIZE - looks like its about to go that route next. Im fixxing to go to the junk yark and get me a new plunger then ill say screw it. Got 2inch drop springs to put on it today. So i guess my long distance trips will need a brick to lay on the gas pedel. HAHA thanks again